Grooming Goldfinch

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We had a bit of a break in the clouds when I went out to feed birds this morning, so I went out with my camera when I finished that chore. This was my most cooperative subject. I’m not sure whether he’s in mid-molt or if that’s what he’s going to be this summer. There’s a surprising amount of variation in their plumage.

I always like grooming shots and I was pleasantly surprised when I was culling images that the eye was clearly visible and the whole bird was in the focal zone.

Specific Feedback

This was taken in a horizontal frame and would have stood up to closer cropping, but I thought it worked better with a bit more of the branches. I also considered taking the background (distant fir branches) to white for a high key look, but decided not to do so.

Thoughts?

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod, f/9, 1/1000, iso 3200, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 3354x4158. Some dodging and a slight saturation boost on the bird and lowered saturation and burned the lower left bud because it was a bit too much and rather distracting.

Impressive detail. Good pose with the eyes showing. Glad you mentioned the distant trees, otherwise I would have assumed it was just another drab northwest day (which it probably was anyway.)

Nice catch for sure - persistence paid off. Preening behavior is fun and I like the twist going on here. The background shows off it well and I also like the mix of winter and summer plumage. Great little tail, too. The branches are a nice underpinning that makes the photo a little more interesting. Not your average bird on a stick.

I have nothing unique to say…just want to echo Kristen 100%.

There’s a lot of subtle features in this photo to like. The eye is visible and the contorted body of the finch provides many diagonals that lead the eye across the goldfinch. The BG is sweet and it has enough gray to boost up the yellows in the subject. Awesome…Jim

Hi Dennis, I like the balled up pose - a unique capture. I like the composition too with the bird at the tip top of the branch. Nice image.

What a unique image, Dennis. I’m glad that the eye is still visible. I love the perch and the varied background. The bird looks nice and sharp without being overly sharpened. Nice job on this one!

Cute! Sweet! Cool! Fun! And very well done in all respects! I love the crop, perch and subtle BG!