Hanging Out

Hanging Out

This little Jumper was out in my garden last week, the same day that I received my Really Right Stuff L-Plate for my Canon 5D Mark IV so that I could use the little Wimberly 100 Gimbal head on tripod (I am just not good with the ball head). I was excited. Love jumpers, and getting a chance to use new equipment is nice. He was kind enough to pose for me, allowing me to get a few shots. This one was my favorite.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything that would improve the shot.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Shot on tripod with Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 100 L f2.8 macro lens with NiSi filter and 13 mm extension tube, with KX-800 twin flash and diffuser, settings manual at f13, 1/200, ISO 640. Edited in LR and Topaz AI Clear.

2 Likes

Wonderful photo, Shirley. He looks like he is very interested in your new equipment also. Nice placement of the diagonal line of the stem and the leaf. Only small nit, IMHO, would be to many burn down the URC of the stem just a bit, for me it is slightly distracting. Otherwise, can’t imagine changing a thing. Nicely done.

1 Like

Nicely captured! It’s actually kind of cute, in an odd sort of way… Looks like it’s in a relaxed pose just waiting to have its portrait done.

I think you could crop a small amount top and right to remove most of the base of the flower. The spider’s look is strongly enough to the LL to be able to successfully place it off center that much, and the strand of web helps with that. Excellent job!

1 Like

New equipment or not, you’re just a jumper spider whisperer, Shirley! I think they all know and love you! Beautiful image to add to all your others!

1 Like

Hi Shirley,

The stare of the spider makes me laugh. A fun looking jumper for sure. I think Diane’s crop should strengthen the comp. A fine image indeed…Jim

1 Like

Hi Shirley, really nice critical focus on the spider - love those eyes! Nice diagonals in the image - a well done image that might be strengthened by the crop suggestions given above.

1 Like

Wow another stunner. You have a way with these cute little dudes. The crisp detail is wonderful. As usual your mastery of flash shows. And yay for new gear! I love my RRS L-bracket. Have never worked with a gimbal head, but it could be interesting. Agree about the URC and cropping it out. I think you have room. Always look forward to your spider pics!

1 Like

I love the picture, it looks like he is standing there just watching what’s going on. It is crisp and sharp, love the color contrasts. I find the right corner where the little leaf meets the trunk a little distracting and wonder if it could be cropped? Love your photo.

1 Like

Can a photo be chilling and adorable at the same time? :slight_smile:

That’s great!

I actually like the detail of the plants, both across and in the corners. For me, it aids in the “sense of place”, rather than distracting from the image–if that makes any sense.

1 Like

I never really think of spiders being cute or shy, but you sure have captured that look. The textures of the leaf and spider are really lovely and so is the rather limited palette of greens and browns. The opposing diagonals are the perfect perch for the little jumper.

1 Like