Happy International Vulture Awareness Day!

Description: this was from my big group of Vultures I got to watch last week. This was on my first day there when the farmer came in the driveway and disturbed them, they were flying everywhere! And so low I could hear their soft wings rustling! When I went the next day I was happy to see the farmer was nice enough to move the deer further into the field so they wouldn’t be disturbed!

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

#ig apani.hill

1 Like

The softness in the photo echoes the softness you describe in hearing their wingbeats. It gives a gentleness and grace not often associated with these birds and I really like it. Once I was on a hill (the remnants of an ancient volcano) and the vultures were coming up out of the trees after warming up in the sun. When they passed close I could hear their wings, too, and it’s one of the most memorable natural moments I have. B&W is a great choice for this.

1 Like

Thanks @Kris_Smith ! I’m glad you like it, I’m glad you were able to experience this too! It’s awesome to be so close! If I had raised my hand I might have felt a feather!

I love the luminance you got through the wings, Vanessa. The B&W was an excellent choice.

1 Like

Thanks @Dennis_Plank , I’m glad you noticed how the sun was glowing through her wings too! It really shows them off! I’m glad you like the black and white!

Excellent BW with interesting profile, detail, and eye engagement.

1 Like

Love the B&W and especially the backlighting. Really a top shot. Well done, Vanessa.

1 Like

Thank you both @David_Bostock and @David_Schoen for taking the time to look and comment! I’m glad you like it and that it works in b&w!

Very different and interesting – the treatment works well for the crop. It could be nice to bring out the contrast in the face a little more.

1 Like

Thanks @Diane_Miller for looking and your feedback! Believe it or not this is not a crop! This is how close and closer these vultures were flying by me! I could’ve reached out and touched them! It was awesome! I think they know I’m crazy about them! :smile:

1 Like

Hi Vanessa,

I think that you found your niche with black and white photography. The diagonal of the left wing and tilt of the head make a nice statement for a strong composition. For the BG, the subtle vignette puts the eye up towards the head of the vulture. I like this as presented…Jim

1 Like

Thanks @Jim_Zablotny , I’m glad you like it and in black and white! I really love black and white because it seems to bring out texture and tones and shapes more. Not that I don’t like color also. I just prefer b&w. Thanks!