Hard Life

What technical feedback would you like if any? any is appreciated

What artistic feedback would you like if any? any is appreciated

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D5, Nikkor 500 f 5.6 There was very little color, so I desaturated to make it more of a B&W.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ig cheryl_a_kuhl

3 Likes

Cheryl: Beautiful and evocative portrait. If this was taken in Yellowstone I really envy you the experience. Going there in winter is on my bucket list. You may want to move this to wildlife. The Weekly Challenge is for images that meet the theme for this particular week which is for camouflage this week. Of course the snow would certainly qualify as camouflage in this scene so if that was your intent you might just change the tag. Top notch shot. >=))>

Thanks Bill. This is Yellowstone. First time in the Winter, and had so much fun we are going back in October and again in January. I haven’t been on the site for some time, and have been having some difficulty navigating the changes. When I entered the images yesterday, I thought the weekly challenge was High Key… thanks too for the stretch to make snow camo. I will try to move it to Wildlife.

This is a fine b&w image of this snow covered bison. The bit of dry grass in it’s mouth says a lot about how tough winter is. In addition to Bill’s comment about how the Weekly Challenge works, the NPN guidelines ask that you only post one image in a 24 hour period to a particular gallery. If you want this (and your other bison in snow image) moved to Wildlife, let me know.

1 Like

Love this portrait, very nicely done, conveys very well the harshness of winter !
Is the bokeh falling snow ? Just curious to know.
You may add some more canvas on the RHS.

Jagdeep, thanks for the kinds words. Yes the bokeh is from snow and blowing snow, which made it a bit hard to acquire focus at times.

Congratulations on the Editors-pick !

Thanks so much. Jagdeep. It is an honor.

This really is a beautful portrait! I love the mood and the processing that you have applied! You can really feel how cold it is. Congrats on the editors pick!

I just wanted to tell you how much I love this image! Haven’t visited NPN for a very long time and was just scanning when I saw this. It’s fantastic and I hope to have an opportunity to photograph bison more often now that my daughter moved to SD not far from the Badlands. The last time I was there was August and I envisioned coming back in winter for a shot like this.