Having a Bad Day

A Bald Eagle in a spruce tree during a day of heavy, cold rain. This poor bird was drenched and obviously very miserable.

Sony a6500, FE200600G @ 535 mm, ISO-400, f/6.3, 1/420, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Man, that poor guy does look miserable! Somedays it has to be awesome being a Bald Eagle, some days, well… not so much!!

1 Like

Yes; I’m guessing this eagle was wishing it was a duck at this particular moment :wink:

Hi Gary, nice sharpness on the bird and perch. Really like the setting of this shot including the rain. Rough day for the bird. The shooting angle seems steep to me but still a very nice image.

I love the look of the eagle, Gary, though I suspect something might have been wrong with it. Most birds usually don’t get this wet looking in even the wettest conditions unless they’re deliberately taking a bath. Excellent composition.

Hi Gary
It is nice to see all the good work you are doing in Alaska with the Bald Eagles. The Eagle does look like he is asking were the umbrella is.
Peter

Gary, he really is drenched. I have never seen one that wet before. Begs the question, how did you and your gear make out in the same rain? Great shot.

Thanks, Shirley! I was in my truck on the highway and only had to get out in the rain for a minute to take the shot. I did have to get as far away as I could and still get it large in the frame in order to minimize the vertical angle and keep the rain off my lens.

1 Like