Hawaii...Beautiful Beaches & Feral Chickens!

Canon EOS 700D
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

1/50th, f/9, ISO 400, 170mm

While on Oahu, I had the opportunity to photograph a few different types of birds. On this occasion, we’d just eaten at a Kentucky Fried Chicken (great wings!) and I happened to notice this ‘bird’ and some others. So I stopped and photographed it. A Feral Chicken…they are all over the island.

Ok, I realize I shot at 1/50th sec and I could have gone a lot higher. So some indication of movement in the legs. I even yelled ‘FREEZE’ at this guy and he paid no attention.

I hope this helps you appreciate Hawaii even more. I would appreciate your thoughts, you will NOT hurt my feelings. So good or not, please let me know!

Enjoy and eat lots of chicken!

Jim

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I’m enjoying the lifted leg look here. Exposure is okay although you do have some motion blur in the raised foot. I think this picture would benefit most from some more space on the bottom and less on the top or a more uniform background; crop just a hair above the tail feathers, and then re-crop with a content aware fill to make the background uniform and green. These chickens are everywhere on many of the islands.

Oh, Lord…the chickens! :crazy_face:
Most are beautiful, healthy, and very abundant, but it took us a week to get used to the incessant crowing at 5 am… on the other hand, a big help in getting up early for the best light.
Pretty bird, nice detail, and you’re right - a higher SS and ISO as well would have frozen that leg.
Still a nice image.
Sandy

Great pose and the detail is pretty good for that shutter speed, Jim. Most places, I’d say this belongs in Human and Fauna as a domestic gone wild, but they were brought to the islands by the original Polynesian settlers, so they’ve been there longer than most people, so I guess it makes them natives by now. I think you could have zoomed out just a bit more to make room for the invisible foot, but other than that, I like it.