He went that way!

Description: Eastern bluebirds communicate to one another with wing flips. The male was signaling to his mate that was perched nearby

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

My standard work flow and the 1/2500 sec exposure time was almost not quick enough to capture the wing flip. This pair is nesting at a box near our garden and has lots of fenceposts for perching.
Is this a composite? No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

Excellent image, Jim, with a very cool pose. With all the lichen on that fence post, I wouldn’t hesitate to put this one in Avian, but I’ll take it here :grin:

1 Like

Blue on blue - a great catch that sounds like an opportunity that came from a lot of observation.

1 Like

This is so cute, Jim! What an awesome observation and how wonderful that you get to watch these beautiful, sweet birds! Really amazing photo!

1 Like

Really fun behavioral photo, Jim. Bluebirds are always a favorite subject, Congrats on the Editor’s Pick!

1 Like

Perfect timing, Jim, and I love the title you gave it too. It does look like he is pointing. A wonderful capture, for sure. I’m enjoying our Bluebirds again this year.

1 Like