Hedgehog In Bloom - WC #883

The rains in So Cal have provided a bumper crop of growth throughout the area and much of it in the upper deserts. My best recall is about every 5-7 years we get enough rain to produce a lot of growth and this hedgehog cactus provides a bit of proof on that point.

Mamiya RB67 ProSD - Mamiya 140mm macro - Velvia 50

Beautiful view of some beautiful blooms. With those thorns, it is the beauty and the beast.

1 Like

This is sweet, Paul. Superb depth of field and a very good composition. Those blossoms are awesome.

1 Like

Beautiful indeed, Paul. Those blooms are lovely as they contrast with the “ouch” of all the spines. As always with medium format, the detail are outstanding.

1 Like

Beautiful indeed! The depth of field is so perfect. Even though the rocks are not in focus but they are defined enough to support the cactus but soft enough so as not to distract from the subject. It also makes the thorns stand out. I know next to nothing about film, Paul, but for all that I am aware of the Velvia, you have got some really great colors here.

1 Like

Very nice close-up of these cactus flowers, Paul! I like the contrast between the sharp, linear spikes and the smooth rocks and round flowers. It looks like you would need kevlar gloves to pick these flowers!

1 Like

Wonderfully prickly image, nicely composed and with the tones and hues working well together. I can see why this plant gets its name !!!

1 Like

Paul, this is really nice. Great colours and perspective.
I like the rocks around the blooms, but perhaps a more square crop with fewer rocks would focus attention more on the blooms.
Swwet image!
Sandy

1 Like

Paul: I love cactus flowers and this is a beautiful bunch. Just enough environment to make a very pleasing scene. Most excellent.>=))>

1 Like