Hello everyone! I'm Ravi

I am currently working in Solar Energy, and living in London, UK! I am a real beginner when it comes to photography, but am a real nature lover so know this is the direction I want to explore. The quality of picture here seems so much higher than many other photography forums on the internet, so I am really hoping I can improve quickly via the inspiration from you lot!

PS: Critiques welcome, this picture was taken on my inaugural trip with my camera, it’s my favourite from the trip but it looks very amateurish to me too

2 Likes

Hi Ravi and welcome to NPN. So glad you decided to make us a part of your photography education. It never ends!

Interesting opener you have here, but I find that I don’t know where you want me to look. At the big stump? At the clouds in front of the mountain? At the tree and the river? A big step to making photographs work is to decide what’s the interest and leave as much that isn’t that thing out of it. This scene obviously drew you for a reason, but I can’t tell what it is. Believe me, there are plenty of images like this one in my early work, so don’t sweat it. We all start somewhere and together we’ll get better.

1 Like

Hi Ravi! Glad you joined us! I think you’ll really like it. I’ve learned a lot myself from all the helpful feedback. I’ve also learned by reading comments on other people’s photos as well. And don’t be afraid to give feedback as well, when you feel comfortable doing so, it also helps in learning! As far as this photo goes, I think it has potential. I personally really like the mountains with that cloud. I hope you don’t mind but I had to play around with it a little because I saw something in it and just wanted to show you what you might want to do with it. So I cropped it and brought up the contrast a bit and converted it to black and white because the colors seemed a bit unnatural, what do you think?..

1 Like

Thanks Vanessa, that’s already a big improvement, I can really see the importance of some simplicity, the great vista to the eye didn’t make for a great photo. Yes the colours were very weird on all of my pics, I accidentally shot with an ultra vivid colour profile for my whole trip :person_facepalming: and then didn’t yet have the editing skill to correct that

1 Like

Makes sense! Not sure what kind of camera you have but hopefully it allows you to do manual adjustments. When I first started about 4 years ago one of the most helpful courses I took to learn the basics is called: ‘The Fundamentals of Photography’ from National Geographic. The teacher is Joel Sartore. It’s very engaging and I’ve watched it many times. Just thought I’d share from one newbie to another!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, I’m going to check it out right now

1 Like

Ravi, welcome to NPN. You can learn a lot here. I really appreciate getting feedback and critique from the talented photographers here as you can tell from the feedback you’ve already received. There are so few places to get something like this.

1 Like