Hello from the Northern Adirondacks of NY

Hello all. My name is Bob Rainville and after listening to Matt Payne’s podcast for a few years and his mentions of this group, I finally decided to see what it’s all about. I’m a part time Respiratory Therapist and part time professional photographer. The “professional” label as I define it, merely means I derive income from it and by no means implies mastery. I’m learning every time I pick up the camera. Most of my photographic income is from portraiture and event work. My landscape work is mostly about experience and being present in the natural world. As far as experience goes, I’m self taught, starting in the late 90’s. I became “serious” maybe around 2010.
Anyway…I look forward to good discussions, conversation and exchange of knowledge and ideas!
This image is not necessarily my favorite, but one of my most recent. To be honest, my style varies and often follows my emotional state.

1 Like

Welcome Bob to the NPN community. Glad you found the site and look forward to your updates over time… :sunglasses:
We’ve had a few folks here on NPN from your area around the Adirondacks in NY. The Benway’s were very active here years ago. I do know John & his daughter Wendy are still out there photographing scenes as I know Wendy was honored on one of her photos recently from that area as a cover photo on Adirondack Life… :+1:

1 Like

Welcome to NPN, Bob. I’m glad you decided to follow Matt’s suggestion and join NPN. This is a very friendly community with a vast amount of knowledge at your fingertips. Your image is really beautiful and powerful. Being surrounded by nature is very rewarding, and your photo gives us a glimpse of that loud and clear. I look forward to more interactions with you.

1 Like

Hi Bob and Welcome to NPN, I’ve been here for just a few months and my learning experience has been great.
Everyone is kind and very willing to share their knowledge.

This image is refreshing to me because it shows the stop action in the water rather than the typical slow shutter speed, smooth water. I like it!
The scale shows well and the perspective is very pleasing.
The highlights, clouds and silhouettes are all very appealing! :slight_smile:

Welcome aboard! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you everyone. Kind and welcoming words!
There are definitely some talented landscape photographers in the area and definitely in this group! I would love to bump into some but only until recently have I had some extra time to get out and about on a regular basis (I only went part time as a critical care Respiratory Therapist about 7 months ago). Perhaps some day I’ll submit some of my images to Adk Life and the like.
@Merv, like everyone I’ve done plenty of long exposure water shots as well as complete stop motion and I agree that the long exposure varieties are a bit cliche. But I am attracted to water, particularly moving water. So when I heard a photographer say “there’s only 2 ways to shoot water (falls): silky long exposure and frozen” I set forth on finding a “3rd way”. Although not new or unique by any standard, I do a version of both combined. It’s essentially a long shutter panning shot of the water/wave motion/spray.

1 Like

Hi Bob and welcome to NPN! I truly look forward to interacting with you more and to seeing more of your images. I very much like your introductory photo. It’s strong contrast is quite captivating.

1 Like

I like those, Bob! Especially the second one!
There’s quite a few here that love the In Camera Movement images (ICM) that are usually posted in the Abstracts gallery.

I’ve done a lot of experimenting with water images in the past, I have found multiple textures by using very short shutter speeds like 1/25s to the typical long exposures of several seconds but the intensity of the water flow plays a role in the outcome.
Many seem to only want the very smooth, or, stop action but there are many in-between textures to explore.

Thanks, Bob

1 Like

Bob,

Welcome to NPN! And thanks to @Matt_Payne for giving you a nudge to check us out.

We welcome your experience and look forward to your images and contributions!

2 Likes

Welcome to NPN!!! I’m looking forward to seeing more water scenes like these - wow!

1 Like