Hello, I'm Alex!

Thank you, Lon!

Thank you, Kristen! I’ve heard such good things about the community of learning here. Looking forward to exploring more :grinning:

Thank you, Vanessa!

1 Like

Hi Matthew, that’s a great question. For me, intimate landscapes and small scenes are a different kind of photography where I can focus more on the details and things like patterns and textures, often thinking more expressively and abstractly. It can also mean focusing on a small vignette of a larger landscape, perhaps at a much longer focal length. Finding these kinds of scenes usually means I’ve either been to a place many times and my mind is seeing beyond the obvious, or I’m in a newer place but I’m moving quite slowly through that place so I can start to see and appreciate those details. There are tiny worlds full of drama unfolding at our feet if we only take the time to look. It feels like I’m using a different part of my brain and stretching a different creative muscle when shooting intimate and smaller scenes, which feels great. All this is to say that I do still enjoy shooting grand landscapes. Intimate and smaller scenes are simply another way to practice creativity and photography.

1 Like

Hello and welcome Alex. I love your image. The quality of the light and composition are nothing less than masterly, hence someone else’s comment that it looks like a classical painting. The soft contrast is great and succeeds in conveying the misty atmosphere. I can almost smell the pines and the sea spray! Outstanding!

I couldn’t agree more. Where I live there aren’t as many grand landscapes, but the “tiny worlds” are everywhere. For me, the grand landscapes are more novel. Either way, photography always provides a new challenge, and a new way to connect with nature.
Thanks for such a thoughtful reply. I look forward to seeing more of your work!