Hello Spring

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Crocus plants in my garden this spring. I really liked the sunlight creating nice highlights and shadows. Unfortunately, using an iPhone did not allow me to ensure that the image was in total focus. I should have used it in manual mode, but I didn’t. If I had used my Nikon Z7ii instead, I could have focus stacked, but didn’t. The next day, rains fell and the crocus melted. As they say, a photo is a moment in time that cannot be duplicated. C’et la Vie!

Specific Feedback

Too saturated? Too much contrast? OK, or what would you do to enhance the image?

Technical Details

iPhone 12 Pro max
22mm @ f/1.6
ISO 32
1/90 se

1 Like

HI Ray,

I think it looks mighty fine in terms of saturation and contrast.
This coming from a cellphone is impressive to me, small sensors on cellphones help in terms of creating a deep DOF, in fact, it can be difficult to create a shallow DOF unless you get real close to the subject.

I can’t recall who, but one of the photography content creators on YouTube always says: “The ‘Best’ camera is always the one you have with you” I happen to agree :slight_smile:

We used to say that it’s nice to have a cellphone with a built-in camera, nowadays we can say that it’s nice to have a camera with a built-in cellphone :slight_smile:

As for the image, I see a couple of straight horizontal cloning lines in the upper right quadrant, that can easily be taken care of with a small diameter clone tool set at 30% opacity and at 0% hardness (hardness slider all the way to the left). (In Photoshop)
Just my opinion here but the small area at the lower left edge of the image may be just a tad too bright but that’s pretty minor really.

Love the colors, composition and the low to the ground perspective! :slight_smile:
Nice details in the texture too! :slight_smile:

These look so inviting and cheery. Just what I need since we have zero new growth anywhere yet, much less flowers. Maybe some wild garlic coming up, but that’s it for greenery. The light is lovely and picks up the color so well. I think the saturation is fine, but the hard edges where Merv points them out and also on the right are a bit jarring and could be cleaned up in the way he suggests. No shade on the cell phone. They’re good tools and help us capture moments that otherwise would slip by.

Thanks again Merv for your insightful comment and your great eyes. I think I need to stop using my laptop for processing and correcting my images. Until you pointed it out, I did not see the error. Meanwhile, I have two 27 inch HD monitors on my desktop that would allow me to see these issues much better. I will repost the corrected image later today or tomorrow. Ray

Kristen, we had a very cold winter this year, so I understand how anxious you are to see some color. It was funny this year. Nothing for a long time and then color everywhere. Unfortunately, our crocus did not last very long because they came up and within three days we had bad rainstorms and hail that destroyed all of them. Thanks for the feedback. As I told Merv, I need to stop editing on my laptop. I did not see the cloning problem until he pointed it out. The second time this has occurred. I will repost a corrected image soon. Thank again for taking the time to provide a comment. Ray

Hi Merv and Kristen. Here is the corrected image. Did I miss anything? Thanks, Ray

Looks good from here , Ray! :slight_smile:

Much, much better! I like it.

Merv, thanks for your help! Ray