Hey everybody, I'm Dave!

Hey everyone, my name is Dave and I live in central Ohio. This summer I got really into nature/woodland/landscape photography. As COVID set in I was looking for activities I felt comfortable doing with my family and hiking in the woods felt pretty safe. Most of my images are quick shots set up while my one year old waits “patiently” with my wife! I have loved the challenge of this hobby so far, my goal all along has been to create an image that I feel would be worthy of hanging on my wall…I haven’t quite made it there yet. I am here to learn and grow. I have some images that I like for specific reasons, but I wouldn’t say I have a picture yet that puts it all together for me. I have a number of influences most of which come from the YouTube world as that is where I have been learning the most. I started learning Photoshop in July with some tutorials from Sean Bagshaw and I have been using the TK7 Panel with some success. I post a lot on Instagram, I try to get at least 3-4 shots up a week which has become more of a challenge as I recently returned back to work, I’m an administrator in a local school district. I also have a Facebook page that I share images to less frequently that is more for friends and family, I also share the images to the Luminosity Masks page run by Greg Benz. I hope to post regularly in the Critiques section of the site to get more ideas about composition and processing

Side note…are there recommended pixel size for export here?

Here is what I would probably consider my best overall image to date:

Thanks for looking!

1 Like

Welcome to NPN, Dave! We’re happy to have you on board!

You can find image posting requirements Here.

Nice image in your post. You might consider posting it in the Landscape Critique category for feedback and suggestions.

Again, welcome to NPN!
-P

Hey Preston, thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look at the requirements. I fully intend to post in the Critique pages. That was one of my main motivations for signing up.

Have a good one,
Dave

Hi David, Welcome to NPN! A fine first post! We were all there once. Just keep shooting, posting, and reading the critiques of your own images and those of others. Your learning will take off and your photography will grow!

Thanks Matt, that is a great point to read the critiques of others, I knew I would do that but reading it here seemed to spark something. I can probably learn just as much from the critiques of others as I can my own. The key for me is to see the thinking behind the suggestions.

Thanks!

Hi David! Welcome to NPN?

To add to what the others have said, I encourage you to critique the posts from other photographers. That is also a great way to learn and improve your own photography.

Hey @Steve_Kennedy, thanks for the warm welcome. I was actually contemplating this earlier today. I was wondering if people would be open to feedback from someone with such little experience as myself. I will probably tread lightly for a bit but keep my eye on the comments of others and see how they align with my thoughts. Thanks again!