Hi everyone! Matt from Australia here.

Hi whoever reads this (I am not even sure where this is going to be spat out =P).

I’m Matt, a landscape and documentary photographer based in Victoria, Australia. My partner Mieke Boynton and I run a small landscape photography gallery here, and if you’re ever in the area feel free to pay a visit!

My work has covered a huge amount of genres in the past including 15 years of live music for street press, sports, running a wedding and portrait business, large commercial projects and more. It wasn’t until traveling in 2012 through Norway and Iceland that I was compelled to photograph nature instead of people. Since then I’ve been lucky enough to spend as much time as I can documenting what draws my eye in nature, including the ASH project which documents climate change and fire impacts in Tasmania where I called home for three years. I was lucky enough to be recognised for that project by the Natural Landscape Photography Awards as well as being given the title of Australian Professional Photographer of the Year. Of course with so many amazing photographers in both competitions, such recognition could have been given to many projects and photographers with amazing work.

Aside from that I judge quite a lot of photography competitions these days and I hope to be able to contribute advice on how to improve imagery or even more general situational advice in future.

I would like to support the community after recently traveling through the Ikara Flinders Ranges and Vulkathunda Gammon Ranges of Australia while listening to the F-Stop Podcast. So it’s an opportunity to give a little something back to the broader community. In recent times I’ve also started a Youtube channel to deconstruct and discuss photography.

The photo which is attached in some way is of new sprouts from the bark of Eucalypt trees in Tasmania after severe bushfire. While these species have the means to survive, many others are not so lucky.

Until next time, have a good one!

3 Likes

Hi Matt and welcome aboard. Seems like a few folks from down under have joined recently so it will be nice to see the collective imagery from a land so far from my own.

1 Like

Welcome, @MattMakesPhotos . So glad to have you join the NPN community! Thanks for the background and the image. I look forward to checking out your work and hearing more from you.

1 Like

Welcome welcome! You’ll find a good home here with a lot of support. Happy to see you here!

1 Like

Welcome to the NPN, Matt. It’s good to have you here. I’m looking forward to seeing more of your work. I’ll definitely look for your YouTube channel.

1 Like

Welcome to NPN, Matt. Glad to have you here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to NPN, Matt. This is an outstanding image and one very different from the norm. Awesome. I can’t wait to see more of your images.

1 Like

Thank you for the welcome Kristen, yes it was a surprise to check the member map and see a few of us from down here including my old mate @david_glazebrook :slight_smile:

Thank you Ric! Likewise I look forward to seeing work from yourself and the community :slight_smile:

Thank you @David_Johnston , glad to be here!

(Just saw the reply in one post suggestion)

Thank you @Egídio_Leitão - You can find it as Matt Talks Photography. I try to upload every week but am a bit behind with some recent travel. Hopefully will be back to the schedule by this coming weekend.

Thank you @Cody_Schultz for the warm welcome.

Thank you @David_Bostock - do you recommend members upload to the showcase or is there a better way to share generally? Thank you for the welcome!

Welcome to NPN Matt! Congrats on your well deserved awards! Looking forward to seeing your project in the NLPA photo book. Just received my copy the other day.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your awesome work here. Sounds like Tassie is quite the amazing place.

1 Like

Thank you! Tassie is probably the most scenically dense place in Australia. Although these days I am in the highlands of Victoria :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Matt and welcome to NPN. As you appear to have been doing photography for awhile now and being from Australia have you ever met Stef Dunn? Back in the day he and I worked together in supporting a campaign to get Velvia 50 back on the market after Fuji dropped the original. As a result of the issues at the time I’d shipped Velvia 50 in 4x5 to Stef a couple times as the market in Australia dried up.
Anyway, did not mean to ramble on here as it was a long time ago now… :sunglasses:

Yes I know Stef well, we were planning to run a creative intensive workshop together in NZ for a while there but Covid happened and we’ve moved onto other things. Great human and photographer.

WOW, it truly is a small world. At least in away among nature photographers. Please give my best regards to Stef. He may barely recall me and our crusade over Velvia 50 in 4x5 back then. I do remember going to our local Fed-Ex and shipping the film to him at that time… :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Welcome Matt!! This is an absolutely awesome image! I’m hoping to see a lot more of your work!

1 Like