Hi!

Last week I rode by a wheat field that I had said I need to stop and take some pictures of it before it’s gone, I finally did and not only was there wheat and flowers, but ladybugs everywhere! I never knew that wheat had sharp spikes on it! I got poked and pretty scratched up trying to get close to the ladybugs!

Specific Feedback Requested

Is she too shaded? I tried my flash, but it’s just a pop up and on the ones I did with it it made a bright on the beetle and some even a shadow. So I stopped using it and liked how this one came out better. Anything else…
First one is on the stem of a Queen Anne’s Lace
The other is in the wheat.
Which one do you like better?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
55mm
1/1000
f/5.6
ISO 400
Cropped vertically, slight sharpen, clarity, did minor adjustment in lighting.

apani.hill

Vanessa, I like the first one best, I think. I wasn’t able to enlarge the second one. I like how she is climbing down the stem. Also the low angle, including some of the blue sky. Nice.

Yeah, a pop up flash probably wouldn’t be of much help with macro. I never tried it, but as I remember, you don’t have the controls to cut the power back on the flash. Not sure about that.

1 Like

Yes, @Shirley_Freeman as far as I know there’s no controls, I haven’t really used it much, but just give it a try once in awhile. I’ll try uploading the other one again, I can’t get it to open either….

Looks like it didn’t help! I don’t know why…

It’s working now. Thank you for the effort so we can see it better. Looks like you got it nice a sharp. They move so quickly. I need to go back and look at some I did in the wheat field this spring to see if I did get a decent one. They are good for the farmers, from what I understand, as they are there capturing and eating tiny things that damage the wheat.

1 Like

That’s what I was wondering about @Shirley_Freeman! Because it looked like they were eating something but couldn’t see anything, not even when I expand it really big on my device! Usually I can see all kinds of tiny little bugs in my pictures that I never knew were there when I was taking them. But I’m not finding anything with these!

1 Like

Vanessa, I’m with you, l love photographing ladybugs.
About flash compensation for your D3400, not sure if this will apply to your D3400, but try (when the flash is up) pressing the flash button located on the left side of the flash element. At the same time rotate the sub-command dial. To the right should increase the flash output, to the left reduces. This link might help: https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/d7500/en/18_flash_photography_03.html

Also download and did a few quick edits for a different view. Cropped, luminosity mask to burn and blur the background a bit, then masked the lady bug to bring up the vibrance and clarity.

Love the wheat field. Great captures.

1 Like

Wow! I love what you did @linda_mellor I really like the crop! Are the adjustments with Lightroom? And those are localized adjustments? Thanks also for the link for the instructions on the flash. I might be wrong, I’ll have to look a bit further, but I don’t think my camera has those capabilities. It’s pretty basic. I don’t have a dial like in the diagram but maybe there’s something else.

Vanessa, the adjustments were done in Abobe Camera Raw- it is very similar to Lightroom. I did do targeted adjustments to the background and additional adjustments to the lady bug. Some in Camera Raw and some in Photoshop. The link I sent is specifically for your model camera. Although I’ve rarely used the on camera flash, if you are in a pinch it might just help. If you get a chance to play with this this adjustment you can see for yourself how it may, or may not, be useful. In the meantime, keep shooting those ladybugs.

1 Like

Thanks @linda_mellor . I actually have the Nikon D3400. Maybe the one you sent me is an upgrade. No matter, I have my physical owners manual and the link you sent I can type in my specific camera! So thanks!

1 Like

Vanessa: I like the second image much better than the first which is a little soft and not as interesting to me as the second. I like the various adjustments made on the second image as well. When you post multiple images in the same post neither will enlarge fully but will toggle from one image to the next. If you want both to enlarge post the images in separate posts. >=))>

1 Like

Thanks for the info @Bill_Fach , I thought it would make it easier to have it one next to the other, but I guess not! Thanks for the Input! Yeah, I think I like the 2nd one better too!