HighjKey Succulent

Description:

Another 4 buck succulent plant from one of our local greenhouses. I used a high key approach with this one and lit the BG with a third flash. The colors were too saturated so I turned down the saturation of red and magenta to get a more realistic color.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D500 105mm f2.8 micro (2.0 sec at f18, ISO 200; 3 flashes set at different power settings through a soft box. 12 image stack with Zerene stacker to remove any OOF areas. Levels, shadows & highlights, reduction in saturation of magenta and red.
Is this a composite? Yes–image stacking

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Slightly desaturated color of the succulent is wonderful! It matches the high-key image. Composition is perfect.

1 Like

Superb. You have a way with flash photography. The image is beautifully lit and the flowers don’t come off as harsh or artificial. Lovely.

1 Like

Beautiful! I’m betting this was a very small subject. I love being able to see all the detail, and the lighting contributes to that. Well done!

Hi Jim, a well done portrait of this succulent. The white BG really makes them pop. Your composition creates a lot of interest, with one flower pointed left and the others hanging down. Lots of detail to explore and probably a good idea to tone down the saturation with that BG. Just enough color left to please without being glaring.

1 Like

Jim, Beautiful image! High key works well with the white background makes the image pop up. Great stack work and lighting. Great details too.

1 Like

Jim: I’m late to this party but I think I like this one even better than the first. The high key just feels more alive and vibrant to me. Top notch shot. >=))>

1 Like