Honey Hollow Falls

I’ve visited Honey Hollow Falls in Vermont several times, but my favorite image of this waterfall was taken in late May 2018. It was a rainy, drizzly day, ie. perfect weather for waterfalls. Earlier in the day I had visited a couple other nearby waterfalls. As I started hiking in to Honey Hollow falls, the sun started to poke out from the clouds, and I hustled to get to the falls while I could still catch it in overcast light. I managed to fire off a couple shots during the sweet spot where the falls were still in shade, but the background trees were catching just a hint of the sunlight starting to come through the forest. There was a also a light mist forming on the water at the back of the falls, which added a nice touch too. Another couple minutes after this shot, sunlight started to flood through the narrow gorge that contains these falls, and the scene was un-shootable.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any critique or comments are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 24-70mm f2.8 lens at 35mm. ISO 100, 5 seconds at f16

2 Likes

Beautiful cascade with a great perspective. I find the detail excellent front to back and processing looks good to me, with nicely rich colors. Very well done, Ed.

I love seeing the texture on the rocks and contrasting it with the smooth water. I think the image is very well balanced and the color rendition is perfect. If there is a nit, Ed, it would be to experiment with burning the highlights on the left most stream of the waterfall ever so slightly. But it’s really a nit. This is really beautiful as is.

This is a fine image. I really like it. I think that the center of focus is that rock near the bottom that parts the water around it. However, for me the best part of the image is the rock wall on the left and how it runs back to the source. So with that in mind I cropped it to show off that aspect of the whole image. The point of focus has been shifted from the fg river to the wall with it’s strong diagonal. When I compare the 2 I really can’t say I’ve improved anything. I actually like all that darkness in the lower two corners and how the image goes from dark to light, and that’s been lost.

I like the angularity of this. The way the stream lead us straight back is complemented by the fracture patterns of the outcrops. Very energetic.

Beautiful image, Ed. The composition and processing look pretty spot-on to me. I can’t see a thing I would change.

Ed, The detail and composition in this scene tells a great story and held my eye for a long time. From the prow of rock and water detail in the foreground up through the cascades to the light at the head of the falls and back down along the polished wall to the left. It made me pause and think about the eons of erosion it took to create the scene. Great choices!. Thanks for posting

@Harley_Goldman @Igor_Doncov @jay5 @Bonnie_Lampley @Dave_Dillemuth @Adhika_Lie thanks to you all for taking time to comment on my image I appreciate it. We have a ton of interesting waterfalls in New England, but Honey Hollow is probably among my top 5 or 6 favorites.

Adhika, I agree about burning down the left side of the falls, I did it already, but it could use another dose. Igor, I’m not sure about cropping that much from the bottom, I think it helps the LLC, but does not help the LRC IMO. I kind of like the way the rock in the LRC looks in my original post. But I do agree with you that the moss covered rocks in the gorge are really neat, it’s a big reason why I like this falls so much.

I like your perspective here Ed. Wonderful lush greens, silky water, and crisp detail make me feel as though I am standing there.

Sweet looking image, Ed! The low POV works perfectly here and the leading lines with the water flow along with that ridge of FG rock draw me into the scene rather nicely. The greens are lush and vibrant and I love that light in the BG. I am also enjoying the list mist on the BG falls as it adds some subtle, but effective atmospherics. The processing is superb. No suggestions from me.

@Ed_Lowe @Eva_McDermott thank you for stopping by to comment on the image. The other thing I’ll mention about this waterfall is that it is located near the headquarters/factory of Ben & Jerries Ice Cream. In better times you could combine a trip to this falls with a side trip to get your Ben & Jerries fix satisfied. :icecream: :icecream: :icecream:

Wow, Ed, this is a beautiful image. So glad that you got there in time to get this shot before the lighting changed. This is worthy of some space on the wall.

My preference is this one over the vertical. The rock are more interesting and lead you through the image, whereas the vertical image had too much emphasis on the water.