Hot Spring Day

I was out midday looking for light in these flowers. When I first saw this comp. I though this might come out great. I am thinking now I wish the cactus was not behind the flowers and I lowered the camera. My focus point was the back of the flower to bring it out sharp.

Specific Feedback Requested

When doing flowers like this any tips welcome, doing this in mid day was not the best idea.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 6D ii 180 macro F/10 1/500 iso 400. I think I was using a tripod so I could focus more carefully.

Dean, it is always nice to get out and shoot, and learn from our experiences. Not every shot we bring home will be what we thought it would be as we were taking it. As for this one, I kind of like the cactus in the background to support the other shorter cactus. I think it might would have been better if the front bloom had been the center of focus, and let everything else drop off out of focus. I like the back lighting on the cactus, and how the light is lighting up the inside of the blooms. I think you managed the light pretty good, in my opinion. I’m just glad you can get out and shoot some.

Living here in the Texas hill country, Dean, we also have lots of prickly pear cacti. I’ve had many failed attempts at trying to capture them they I see them. I do like the translucency of the flowers. And the lighting works very well. I agree with @Shirley_Freeman about having the cactus in the background as a supporting element and focusing more on the flowers in the foreground. Right now our cacti flowers are being inundated with bugs rolling in the pollen!

1 Like

Dean, I believe that there are subjects that work under any light, you just have to know when and how to shoot. The idea here is good. I do think that having either both of the blooms fully sharp or getting the front parts of the flowers sharp would work better. The lighting looks fine.

1 Like