House At The End Of Time

Image Description

I’m a member of our local milky way group and we always have a challenge trying to find a good night. If it isn’t the lights from the city and towns then it’s the clouds. They are great for sunsets but a real pain for nightscapes. Anytime that we are able to find a good location with a window of opportunity, without the clouds is a time for celebration. This is a spot that I always wanted to try and get a milky way shot from. unfortunately, there is a street light just off to the left that spoiled my original attempts. This is a composite of one image for the foreground and a panorama on a star tracker for the sky. This was one of my first attempts with the star tracker and I was amazed by the amount of detail I was able capture.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

All comments are welcome.

Technical Details

30s f/11 ISO foreground 16mm
83sec f2.8 ISO 800 28mm 3 image panorama with a Sky Tracker

2 Likes

WOW!! I LOVE the whole thing – spectacular Milky Way with an incredible FG!!! One minor nit – the very sharp line where the sky meets the water feels artificial. I wonder what you would think of softening both (especially the sky), maybe with lower contrast and a more feathered junction.

May I ask what 28mm lens? The Sigma f/1.4 Art? I’ve heard it’s fantastic.

I have yet to try stitching a MW pano. And I’ve never managed to get a rising Milky Way – need to find a dark eastern horizon and a clear night.

Well done Andre. I like the image.

This has a marvelous science-fiction feel to it - I love those two palm trees!

Hi Andre,
that’s a great nightscape shot with a really nice composition. I love all the details and colors in the sky.

Is that a wrecked building behind the rock in the center of the foreground? You probably used the rock on purpose to cover the building. But I wonder how the composition would look if you had positioned your tripod further to the left or right.

The clear sky thing is an issue here as well. Glad to see it worked out for you. I can’t wait to see more of your nightscape images.

Wonderful detail and colors in the stars that you were able to capture.

@DeanRoyer @Mike_Friel @Jens_Ober @Diane_Miller @Mozzam_Hosein Thanks for the comments. I had softened the line but it can definitely do with a few more passes. Jens, even though the little house looks like it’s behind the the rock it’s actually on top.

Hi @Diane_Miller . I used a Sony FE 2 / 28mm prime for the night sky. It’s a great lens for the price and its easy on the back.