Hudson River-View from Breakneck Ridge

I’ve posted this picture before in landscape critiques, I think it was one of my first, but I had to post it for the weekly challenge because it is one of my favorite places that I’ve ever been! It has four summits with a lot of rock scrambling and climbing! And Turkey Vultures live around there so you always see them riding the thermals up the sides of the cliffs! I used to go there everyday when I lived only 30 minutes away!

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
70mm
1/1000
f/4.5
ISO 250
Adjusted whites, contrast, shadows slightly, cropped a little from the left side hill, as guided before.

apani.hill

Amazing view, Vanessa. I can feel how a person could get lost in their own world up there. Although I must admit, the name Breakneck Ridge does give me some pause. Wonderful photos and nicely done.

1 Like

Thanks @linda_mellor for your kind words! I’m glad you like it! It is a crazy hike and because it’s only an hour from NYC and you can get there from the train and the trailhead is right off the road all kinds of amateurs try hiking it. There’s been people and dogs who have died and tons of people who have to get rescued. It’s crazy, but I think it’s being more closely monitored now because they were building an actual visitors center at the bottom and before it closed for the pandemic there were rangers at the trailhead at least on weekends and holidays.

1 Like

Hi, Vanessa. What a gorgeous shot. I can see why you love this place. Good story line, too. I took some liberty by removing the haze and the blue color saturation and came up with this. Mind you, I’m not really good in Photoshop, so I’m sure others could do much better. But this gives you an idea of what could be done, if you wish.

1 Like

Hey @terryb yeah, I like this version too… My original post back when I first came to NPN in March was in black and white because I too wasn’t sure about the blues in this photo, even though that’s the original and really how it was. But then on my original feed I posted the original and everyone said they liked the blue so that’s why I posted it this way this time with no modifications! But I like what you did but honestly not sure what exactly to do with this because I really like it and want to present it as I saw it but maybe with whatever tweaks are needed to make it nice for others to look at! This is a link to the original post if you want to look and give feedback, no worries if you don’t have time! Hudson River

1 Like

No problem. It’s your photo and the most important thing is what you like, not what I or anyone else likes or would do with it.

1 Like

Vanessa, this is a very good view of a big river and a big valley. Since I live in the mid-Atlantic, I know that haze like you have is a big part of the warmer months, especially summer, so the fading into the haze seem very fitting. The multiple ridges fading into the distance add a fine sense of depth.

1 Like

Thanks @Mark_Seaver , glad you like it! This was actually taken early April around 8 in the morning, a couple years ago when I lived out there, that’s why the trees are all bare. I usually went early to have the place to myself!