Hummer at Work

Ive been out chasing hummingbirds and practicing more with the 500 MM lens. Its a bit heavy and big for me, so it is taking some getting used to.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500 , 500 MM at f56, ISO 1250, 1/3200 sec. , handheld.

1 Like

Well, Kathy, you really scored on this one! Love the sharp focus and narrow Depth of Field. The out of focus background is fantastic, and I think I see some blurred foreground as well. That’s really good as it frames the bird nicely. Well done.

1 Like

Nice capture, Kathy. Beautiful colors, great detail in the little hummer and lovely lighting. Nicely done…

1 Like

Very nice, Kathy. Good detail and wing position and a fine composition. When I had a 500, I always used a tripod for hummingbirds, so I’m amazed you could do it hand held.

1 Like

Hi Dennis
Thanks for the comment. If you had one of the non fresnel 500s - no way I could handle that even with a tripod. This is the new fresnel 5.6. It weighs 3.2 pounds. Its still a heft for me. When I took this shot I was sitting on a low stool, which makes this easy to handle. Standing up I can handle it for awhile and then have to rest. So far, I have taken it on driving trips where I use a bean bag and I use it where I can walk short distances, plop my little stool down and sit . If I get to the point of using it at some of the local birding ponds, then I will trip a monopod. It all relates to how much I can carry with a bad shoulder and a previously fractured mid back. I would much prefer a good zoom but they are just too heavy, so I alternate between a 300 fresnel and now this 500 one and I have a 1.4 teleconverter.

Best
Kathy

I echo all the complements above – a wonderful capture! The difficulties in handling even a somewhat heavy long lens are very frustrating, but so worth the trouble.

1 Like

Excellent job on the color, in-flight position and plumage detail. The flowers in the background really make this image work well.
I also have the 500 PF and it is an amazing lens with regards to sharpness. I am currently trying to sell a lot of my older Nikon gear (yes, weight is an issue and if you have any interest check out the classified section here. )But I will not sell the 500 PF with 300 PF which I typically use with a D 500. At 3.2 pounds, the 500 PF works so well for birds in flight.

1 Like

David. Thanks. I agree those two lenses are great. Very sharp and the focus ing, especially on the 500 fresnel is extremely fast. I also use the D500 with birds and I will have to amend the above post as I incorrectly listed the 850. I have not tried the TC with the 500 yet. One step at a time but it does work pretty well with the 300 although it tends to search sometimes on focus. The 300 lens is wonderful for flowers as well. I use it about 50 percent of the time for flower photography

The 1.4 x works great with the 500pf. No decrease in image quality.