"Hush"

Critique welcome!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D5200 with Tamron 70-200 mm lens; 170 mm, f/2.8, 1/800 s, ISO 100

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@griffinbarnett

Griffin, there’s a fine inviting, quiet elegance with the subtle colors in this scene.

Very beautiful image. Well done.

It’s an excellent scene with great conditions, and the exposure is well taken.

But the image feels very heavy on the right side. It may be impossible at this location but it feels like some balancing feature on the left or more space on the right could help. Reducing the negative space with cropping is another option, like going horizontal or something close to a square. But you can’t do too much without cutting off the reflection… which is probably undesirable.

Thanks for this feedback Mark!

Excellent minimalist image! Great subject, great light, well-composed, technical details correct. Yeah, this is a winner and should be placed in your portfolio.

Thank you Tony! Much appreciated!

Thanks for these comments Seth! I definitely take your point about the potential heaviness on the right side. I felt it was effectively balanced out by the misty row of trees in the background extending to the left, but perhaps it needs a bit more of that to fully balance it?

Marc - really appreciate the positive feedback!

No problem! I freely admit some bias, for minimalist landscapes are my favorite photographic genre.

A wonderfully peaceful and quiet image. The soft color palette goes perfectly with the soft light and quiet mood.

Thanks Tony! Really appreciate the positive feedback!

Excellent, Griffin and welcome to NPN. I love the reflection in this image and just the faintest hint of color and the fog just makes it perfect.

Thank you Dennis, really appreciate the positive feedback!

The misty trees do help with balance, so it could be as simple as personal preference for how much is necessary. The more I look at it the less I can decide how exactly I’d change anything so maybe everything is actually just fine.

1 Like