Hydrangea

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Garden is greening so I took liberties with the light.

Specific Feedback

Anything

Technical Details

Z7 II 100-400, @280mm, f/8, 1/250, ISO 500

Did have to do much beyond ACR nominal adjustments. I did work a bit more darkness into the upper left quadrant and did some TK contrast painting

I think this is a good beginning. A sketch in a sense. The texture is picked up very well with the backlighting. Years ago we had some nightshade growing in the backyard and I did something similar. Don’t know if hydrangea is poisonous, too, but that would be another nice element to the sinister quality of the dark areas. The top leaf is the weak link here because it’s cut off and not as evenly lit, so to me it throws off the cohesion in the image. The leading edge of the right leaf is picked out so subtly that I wonder if you could make it a bit brighter? Hm. Certainly an interesting study and I like where you’re headed with this.

1 Like

I actually toned it down a 1/2 stop because it was tending to draw the eye out of the frame too quickly. Top leaf is definitely an issue. I am going to reshoot it today with a different lens and see if I can get more of an even plane from top to bottom. Thanks for the feedback.

Wonderful light and subject – cropping about 1/4 off the top could work wonders here. Look forward to the re-do. Don’t forget about the clone tool! Sometimes we can’t get it perfect in camera.

Light and Texture. Really interesting and great shadows. !!!