Ice Cave in Iceland

Taken in Iceland in 2018. A 5-6 mile roundtrip walk with crampons on a slanting glacier, fortunately in good weather

Converted to Black and White just to try something different - the color ones came out well

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything artistic or technical

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

3 Likes

Amazing shot. This is one of those images you would see in an outdoor magazine. Itā€™s about adventuring. There are so many aspects to the outdoors. Goldfinger Comes to Iceland would be a fun title.

Wow! The details are so cool here. I love the icicles, all white and vertical, contrasted against the cellular-like dark walls of the cave. And those circular openings. As Igor said, what a story. (I am nervous that the piece he is standing on will break :crazy_face:!

This is definitely a spectacular shot. Must have been great to be part of this. Wow.
About the B&W conversion: I find it difficult to explain what I feel exactly, but for me there is some imbalance between the hard, very contrasty parts of the ice (the right half, and around the person) and the greys that are present in the person, the sky, the icicles and the mountain in the BG.
Looking forward to the opinions of other members, maybe they can better pinpoint what is bothering me.

I echo the superlatives of others. Incredible image. Love that it is B/W but would like to see color, too. Igor, ā€œGoldfingerā€ reference is wonderful.

An outstanding image Karl. There is a beautiful graphic design inherent in this image, and I think the decision to process in B&W instead of color really lets all the shapes, lines and textures stand out better. It would be interesting to see the color version of this too, I suspect that it works well in color also, but in a different way.

This is purely a matter of personal choice, but I would consider a crop from the right, to take this to a square aspect ratio. Iā€™m not sure the icicle on the right adds that much to the image, and a square crop would tighten the focus on the hiker.

Thanks @Igor_Doncov , @Ed_McGuirk , @Mark_Muller , @Han_Schutten , @Jim_Gavin

I have uploaded a color version as well as a B/W with a more vertical crop. Perhaps the icicle on the right isnā€™t contributing much - just that leaving it in allows for a more abstract positioning of the guide (subject)

2 Likes

This is just such an incredible image, Karl. B&W is perfect and makes it shine. Iā€™m in awe.

Your vertical and color versions are even more wonderful. Inclusion of additional foreground, especially in the vertical, really sets these apart. Initially, I thought cropping the top of the color one to eliminate the sky might make it even better, but as I keep looking at it, i am not so sure. Awesome images.

I really love this in both the color and black and white. I like the repost where you can see the clouds through the hole in the ice as well. And definitely you need the icicles! It just gives it more vastness and depth! It is like out of an adventure magazine! Must have been an awesome experience!

Outstanding images. I like very much the b&w vertical crop.

Your updated color version is even more outstanding than your original or itā€™s rework. I would suggest a minor crop but the hole up top tells a story. Therefore, in that respect itā€™s not superfluous. That brain like thing on the right is just awesome and really adds a lot. Itā€™s a winning image no matter what you do with it. I do, however, disagree that the original needed cropping because the right side ā€˜had less interestā€™.

Cropping off the top may make it less distracting - icicles through the top hole are difficult to process.
Thanks for your input. Do I need to tone down the RLC ?

Thanks @Ola_Jovall , @Vanessa_Hill , @David_Bostock , @Jim_Gavin

Some more to think about!

The color image is incredible. No need to tone down the RLC, for me.
Iā€™m still in doubt which one I like more: Igorā€™s crop, or the original version. I tend to go for the original one.
And I prefer the vertical crop over the original B&W image. The cropped one also removes the feeling of imbalance that I mentioned in my previous post.

1 Like

The original image has winning impact and sure does hold this viewerā€™s interest. The long icicle that flows out of the picture divides the picture in two, so I would include the full icicle and a little more of its surrounding cave. After viewing the colored version there is soooo much more of interest it would be hard to decide on a crop, if any at all. What an adventure this must have been. Iā€™m envious.

Hi Patricia
Thanks for your input
BTW, How did you get your MNEC inserted besides your name ?

Karl, I just typed it in when filling out my personal infoā€¦ it looks great but means nothing!!! No, really it stands for Master New England Camera Council. An honor given back when the annual conference was attended by thousands on the second weekend in July at UMASS in Amherst, MA. I was one of the lucky photographers to have received this honor years ago. COVID has halted the in-person event but it is still held virtually. Excellent presenters and helps inspire photographers to get out and shoot new things via new methods. Hopefully, it can return to in-person attendance next year.

Pat

Which camera club?
I was honored with that MNEC too:-)
As you say means little but looks impressive!

Karl. I am a long time member of the Greater Bridgeport Camera Club and compete virtually. Was also a member of the New Haven Camera Club before I moved to MA. Unfortunately, I have not found a camera club in western Mass within less than a half an hour driving time and I miss going out shooting with other photographers to explore the area.

Pat

1 Like