Ice Patterns

Another late winter Ice Abstract. It continually amazes me how intricate some of these ice patterns can be, Mother Nature gets very creative sometimes. All that I have to do is find them :smile:

The concentric rings here were very interesting. Late winter is a good time to find these more unusual patterns, because we cycle between cold and warm days, which leads to thawing and refreezing. I used a telephoto lens from the bank of a stream and used focus stacking to get everything sharp.

Specific Feedback Requested

any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
Focus stacked using Helicon Focus software

Canon 5D MK4, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens, at 160mm, ISO 200, 1/6 sec at f16

8 Likes

Yes this is the time of year to be on the hunt for these & I’m glad you saw this one. The focus stacking makes it - I REALLY have to remember to do that in the field. The tones & patterns are a delight.

This is very excellent. The detail is exceptional.

Ed,
It’s difficult to critique these abstracts, but I do like the contrast and flowing shapes in this one. I know you sometimes look at a horizontal flip of an image. I thought a flip of this one might create a different flow from the LLC.

Very cool stuff, Ed. The blue and grey tones are just wonderful , and the graceful curving lines of the ice flow as it moves from left to right is very fascinating. What I find most captivating in this miniature landscape is the luminosity or glow the ice has; like it has a life of it’s own. Great job on this!

Well, if @Matt_Lancaster 's work was a Monet then this is a Picasso. I see the chin, nose, and eyes. They cheek bone is rather prominent. The composition is really strong in this image. However, I preferred the previous bubbles image for it’s energy and optimism. Actually, even though the subject is the same the images are quite different. There is a greater usage of blacks in this image.

1 Like

I love the intricate detail and rich contrast in your ice abstract Ed. Amazing rhythm throughout.

Such a gorgeous find @Ed_McGuirk.

Love what you did with the tones and contrast. The “cracked” pattern creates and interesting contrast with the round and concentric shapes.
The only thing i would say i could change would be to recrop to a “squarer” format to cut out those small bubbles on the left and keep the attention on the “face” on the center. And even that i dont think it would improve such a gorgeous shot.

Cheers

@Igor_Doncov @Kris_Smith @Alan_Kreyger @Ed_Lowe @João_Ferrão @Eva_McDermott
thank yuo all for your comments, I appreciate haring your input.

This ice formation was a gem, and this was quite large, measuring maybe 4 or 5 inches across. Joao, I would prefer to clone the bubbles on the left away rather than moving to a squarer aspect ratio. I just don’t see the world in squares and am not a fan of that aspect ratio, perhaps part of why I refuse to join Instagram, among other reasons.

1 Like

Totally get you, i think no one sees the world in squares, not even in rectangles :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: , in strong subjects, to me, squarer formats can add to the composition. Instagram took advantage of the square format to ease the layout of the mobile platform. I always liked 6x6 and 4x5 cameras, even do my budget doesn’t allow to get one now :grin:. Its a personal taste most of all.

Beautiful, Ed. What a great abstract! It is amazingly intricate and fascinating. Love this one.

Just gorgeous, Ed. Mesmerized by the swirls.

Beautifully done, Ed. Wonderful form, colour and line. It has a feel of something that is both man-made (like blown glass) and a living thing. You know how I respond to fractal geometry and this has that in spades.

I’m coming in late on this one Ed. I saw it a time or two and had other things going on so didn’t get to open it up and enjoy it. You really captured this one well. As @Matt_Lancaster said, “mesmerized by the swirls”. Such texture and lines in this. Very nice. :+1: :+1:

This is a stunning image @Ed_McGuirk . As you say, incredible what nature can create but credit to you for doing it justice. No critiques.

@João_Ferrão @Harley_Goldman @Matt_Lancaster @Kerry_Gordon @Shirley_Freeman
thank you for you comments, I appreciate you taking the time to discuss your thoughts.

Kerry, I love fractals in nature as well, and try to l take advantage of them whenever they present themselves.