Iced Space

Since it looks like spring has finally arrived, I thought I’d post one last ice picture… Fascinating how some bubbles freeze as a bubble, while others create “lines”. The yellow colors come from rocks on the bottom out of the frame. A 9 shot stack for sharpness throughout. (7D2, 180mm macro, 0.3 s, f/16, iso 400, tripod and cable release)

3 Likes

Whoa. Very interesting.

Mark, this is an amazing shot. My first thought was the WC last year I think it was, for puzzles! This sure would be one difficult puzzle to put together. Really well seen and captured.

1 Like

Very beautiful abstract nature photo. Ice and snow and winter is beautiful in my opinion!

Gorgeously fascinating, Mark. Truly wonderful how many great images you’ve gotten out of your frozen ponds. Nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

Hey @Mark_Seaver.

The contrast of those yellow bubbles with the cold background creates a lot of engaging. It’s just amazing how clear the ice is, looks like blown glass or a small marble.
It’s a beautiful pattern image with a lot of interest. The image looks a bit soft but i bet this was a crazy difficult scene to get, even more stacking with the low DOF of macro, and even so it’s still compelling.

Thanks for sharing.

Very cool abstract. This looks really good. No nits here.

Hi Mark,
I like this photo and your other recent ice photos a lot, however the overall uniformity of the patterns with nothing particularly standing out - leaves me just taking in the overall photo tone and pattern but wanting a bit more of something unique. So I zoom in.
The right half of this photo has more unique details for me which add interest - the silvery bubbles, the swirl on the upper right, the clearer distinction between blues and greens, some additional lines, the paisley patterns in the LRC.
I cropped it, and it lost some clarity - but just re-posting it for the example.
I know it is personal preference, just figured i’d share my perspective. It also depends on the size - if it were printed large enough then I would prefer the original because I could have both - by either standing up close or further away.