ICM #4 (of 5) Fall trees

Description:

This is the fourth image in my ICM series. Below are also for convenience shown the outcome of the previous postings in this series.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any comments are welcome!
In two of my previous postings, the original posting had too little saturation and contrast. Here I have tried to avoid that. Is it OK or too saturated?
By the way, I deliberately included the blue sky in the URC to add some more interest. Does it work, or should it be cloned away?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No

#3 Read leaf

#2 Sunlit grass in pond

#1 Birch trees in autumn meadow

2 Likes

Love the series, Ola and how you are experimenting with different forms, motion and color. All are excellent. As for the “Fall trees,” I like the subtle movement and colors are wonderful. The blue in the URC, at least for me, does not add that much. It will be interesting to see how others feel. Very nicely done.

Very nice, Ola. This has been a great series. In this Fall Trees image, how was this created? I’m used to seeing images similar to #1 and #2, where it’s just a blur of colors. In this one, the trees are still very recognizable as trees. Looking forward to learning how this image was made, because it’s very cool. I could see removing the blue in the upper right as @linda_mellor mentioned.

I’m finding it hard to decide which is the best. I’m finding it even harder to give suggestions because this is so foreign to me. But I do like them and am always looking forward to the next one. People often like to post images in a ranking order so I’m expecting big things from the next one. Your first two images seem to be less unique, creative than the last 2. ICMs are often created with vertical stripes. So it’s between the last two and I think I might prefer this one as the best. I like the red color but this composition is more complex. Great job.

my favorite is still the green grass, and the current fall trees ICM is my second favorite. This falls trees image is a classic ICM, subject still somewhat recognizable, yet very artistic looking. Keeping most of the tree trunks relatively sharp helps create some nice structure to the image. And I think the color combination of green and orange is very pleasing.

@linda_mellor, @Ed_McGuirk, @Igor_Doncov and @Craig_Moreau thanks for your kind comments.

Craig, there is no special technique involved here, just moving the camera vertically at the “correct” speed. There is a lot of trial and error here, you have to try several times and between each of the shots adjust the speed to achieve the ICM effect you want. I used f/22 and ISO 100 to get as long shutter speed as possible (1/13 sec.). That make it a little bit easier to have control over the adjustments of the speed of the camera movement. 300 mm lens equiv.

That is something to live up to! :slight_smile: I do not know if the next one is the best one, but it is at least different. Planned to be posted tomorrow.

Wonderful series so far, Ola. No need to pick a favorite as they are all beautifully done!