Icon alert: Sunset from Glacier Point

For my buddy Kyle. C’mon back, we’re waiting!

Kyle and I spent 4 days in Yosemite earlier this month and made the wise choice head up to Glacier Pt this particular night. Very fortunately, this was taken just 3-4 days before the Camp Fire started that is now plaguing the state with hazardous air quality.

A rare image for me that includes sky… All comments welcome! Thanks!

Pertinent technical details or techniques to help others learn:

5-image stitch with Nikon 28-300mm @34mm f/9. Would have liked more mountains at the bottom, but limited to tree tops and also the viewpoint signage I was standing in front of…

If this is a composite please be honest with your techniques and share some details so others can learn:

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.
1 Like

Great sky and pano. As an alternative presentation, I did a quick and dirty red desaturation of the mountains/land and boosted the mids on the mountains a bit too (looking for a little glow). Makes for a totally different mood, but I like the way it really makes the sky scream. Not necessarily better, but different. Just a thought anyway. Real nice, Lon.

Spectacular capture, Lon! I’m not sure I could keep my composure with light like this. Hope to see some more…

Yikes, a wonderful rendition with the “Velvia” take here on this one, Lon…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Along with the great evening sky the pano spread is excellent. For the most part it gives the sense of being there viewing the scene with a 180 degree visual perspective. You sure made the right choice on that evening for the great view and the photo ops too…:+1:

Sunsets like this one are wonderful to behold. Just one small critique point if I may: I’d like to see a bit more at the bottom. Great color, and the light is gorgeous.
-P

It’s beautiful. What an awesome sky and I like this panoramic view. Real nice Lon!

No way one could let that sky get away - gorgeous. And beautiful color on the granite too.

Thanks for the comments folks! Appreciate it very much!

Simply gorgeous Lon. A very special moment in nature, and you made the most out f it.

What a grand view and is that a kick a… sky or what, Lon. This had to be exciting to observe and I for one am glad you were there to capture this for the rest of us to enjoy. I hope you came away with some additional images for us.

Breathtaking sky Lon. I also like the warm light on the mountains. Glad you got to capture this before the fire. Last summer we were in Yosemite and could not see anything from the iconic viewpoints due to heavy smoke.

What a great sunset and a beautiful photo. Looking at this also brings back a lot of memories. I used to spend a lot more time on this side of the mountains, but mostly on the east side now. I’ve camped on top of Half Dome many times when it was still allowed, as well as Clouds Rest and North Dome, and have backpacked in the Clark Range. I have old photos of me hanging my feet off the edge of the big slanted rock on top of Half Dome. I used to show them to my kids and tell them this is how close they came to not existing. My palms sweat just looking at those photos now. The last time I backpacked here was at least 10 years ago on a trip from Tuolumne Meadows to the Valley.