ID Help Please

Can anyone please tell me the name of this bird? I first saw it bathing in shallow muddy water, and after I took some photos he finished and just walked off (in this photo). I have searched online as well as in our book for birds of North America (Eastern). He was at Huntington Beach State Park, Murrell’s Inlet, SC. Appreicate the help.

Shirley, my best guess is Virginia Rail. I have seen a few similar in south MS and Louisiana.

I also think it’s a Rail, but there are several kinds, including the Clapper Rail, that it could be.

Thank you, Bill and Kathy! You all are awesome. You got me on the right track. It is a Clapper, I am pretty sure. I found a photo of one that looked pretty much exact markings as the one in my photo. I really do appreciate you all taking the time to respond to my request. It helps if you have a general idea of the type of bird I guess. I just didn’t see it in any of the categories that I looked at.

That is certainly Clapper Rail habitat as well.

Hi Shirley,

Clapper rails prefer salt marshes over freshwater marshes and are more gray than typical king rails…Jim

Thank you, Nate and Jim. I appreciate the confirmation. Sorry I haven’t been able to be on here lately, but the hurricane has knocked out our power and internet. We got the power back but not internet. Working off my phone.