ID Please

These grasses were growing in the pole at the end of a dock in Nova Scotia. I have no idea what they are named, but please chime in if you know. I have also seen them along the road in Alberta. The background is water and I was drawn in by the grace of their feathery look.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Taken with Canon SX60, F5, 1/200 sec., ISO 100.

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I have no idea the ID on this, Patricia, but I really like the shot. The black background makes The grass and seed heads stand out so nicely. The post is a bonus. I find it amazing how plants will grow out of things like it. Very nice! :+1::+1:

Patricia,

Great find and a beautiful capture. Like Shirley, I think the black background works exceptionally well setting off the plant. Growing out the side of an old weathered post - priceless… (or so the commercial goes…)

My uneducated guess is Foxtail Barley - or some relative of… These are prominent and flourish in the Mono Lake basin in the Eastern Sierra. Google them and see if you agree.

The only minor suggestion I have would be to burn down, if the pixels are there, the very bright leading edge of the post; although it does echo the bright highlights in the feathery tips of the plant.

Lon

Patricia: A marvelous find and a superb capture. I especially like the light and your comp. Most excellent. >=))>

Patricia, I have no idea, but in the past have had luck with this website.

You upload a picture of flora on this website, and it suggests a species or two.

https://www.plant-image-analysis.org/software/identify

Whatever it is, it looks wonderful

I like the dark background. Really shows of the plant detail nicely. How strange that it grows sideways. Even from a pole I’d expect it to grow vertically.