If a Tree Falls in the Forest

… Does it make a sound? Or, I’m open to a better title… I was considering “Pea Soup Forest…”

Another deceptive ICM image - there’s no fog here; just like no blizzard in my previous presentation. The presence of fresh powder on the ground was enough to “fog” the scene during an up and down camera motion.

Going for a higher key effect given the random results. I have many others with varying degrees of darkness and contrast of the trees, but thought I would would post this one.

As always, any and all thoughts and critique welcome.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Processing of course. This is a color image, processed to be very white and neutral
very minimally processed

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

too empty bottom and left? Does this need to be cropped a little? Or do you prefer the fading from emptiness to shapes, lines and structure?

Does the distortion bother you? Actually, I’m not even sure if it’s lens distortion, or a result of the motion at a 28mm wide angle?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @28mm, f/22 .5s iso 50, handheld single frame

2 Likes

Spooky but contemporary are the two words that come to mind for me. I like the other Worley mood of this.

I personally would crop just a bit from the bottom but the image is effective as is

Very interesting. Distortion does not bother me. I wonder what it would look like flipped 180.

The question should actually be, “does a camera moving in the forest make a sound?”

This image is surreal to start with, so no the distortion does not bother me. As for WB, the pure whites work really well for me, if you are going for a high key look, I prefer a clean white like this.

I generally enjoy seeing ICM tree images, and doing them is snow imparts a minimalism to them that is different than how they look in other seasons. I am good with having a large amount of negative space at the bottom, it enhances the surrealism of the image. I could perhaps see taking a sliver off the bottom, cropping just above your watermark.

Quite a unique image here, Lon. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a ICM image with this look.
:vulcan_salute:

Lon,
You are absolutely killing it with these ICM images. The distortion does not bother me one iota as the image is already moody and mysterious. The high key processing looks perfect and only enhances the mood for me. I might be inclined to take a little from the bottom as you were wondering, but this is lovely as is. Keep them coming.

Lon, here becomes photography more than just making an image of things. It brings me a sens of solitude while walking in this forest. Can i still find my way ? Love it. thank’s for sharing.

Oh what an interesting image. It looks like something that comes out of a SciFi movie, Lon. I really like the contrast on the trees here. Seems to be dark enough to be visible but light enough to give the mood. The anchor point for me is the two trunks about 1/3 of the way from the right. But the darker, longer tree on the left side about 1/4 of the way in is somewhat an eye magnet. I think it has a slightly higher contrast than the subject. Perhaps a local adjustment on that one to tone it down ever so slightly?

I like the distortion, the trunks look like brushstrokes. I also find it unexpected and intriguing that unlike most photographs it goes from bright to darker when you go from the bottom of the frame up.

I like this a lot Lon. It is very ethereal and thought provoking. I do not mind the distortion at all. I agree with Nathan’s and Ed’s comments about a possible slight crop from the bottom.

Lon, I like the mysterious look of this wonderful abstract. The high key look appeals. The longer I look at the image the more I see the trees sneaking into the negative space. I like the image as it is. @Ed_McGuirk’s question, “does a camera moving in the forest make a sound" is perfect here and most apropos for the silence you created. Also, I learned the acronym ICM. Great image.

Very beautiful Lon! Expertly crafted image. I really like the open white space at the bottom. It makes my eye ‘search’ the image for an anchor and this seems to intensify the minimalist artistic effect.