If You get too Close, I'll still Take Your Picture

Description:

I went out to one of our local park hoping to snag more spring migrants. With cold temps and Northern winds, the Spring migration has stalled. While quietly lugging my 600mm f4 down the trail, I checked over my shoulder to discover a curious audience of white tailed deer that were checking me out. If I acted like the typical noisy park visitor, the noise would have frightened them away. They were intrigued by the focusing motor and stayed nearby for about 3 minutes. So I fired away and was able to get some nice shots showing the remnants of Winter coat being replaced by the Spring wardrobe.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 600mm f4 (1/500 sec at f7.1, ISO 3200) Topaz DeNoise, Levels, slight crop of the top to put eyes in upper third of frameā€¦Jim

Is this a composite?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.

Love the expression on the deerā€™s face, itā€™s like ā€œwhat are you doing here?ā€ Great detail in her coat and the OOF background works very well in highlighting the deer. Sounds like it turned out to be a great outing. Nicely done.

1 Like

The ears-forward and steady gaze are great, Jim. Excellent detail in the fur. Well done.

1 Like

Oh so great! They do get curious. Iā€™ve had fawns on the back lawn just going crazy with curiosity when they see me. I hauled a big floating tree trunk with roots out of the water after it snagged on the dock and left it to dry and it got the same treatment. Sometimes they run like the wind and other times they just stare. So fun. Iā€™m glad you got to use the 600-lb giant you hauled out there!

1 Like

What a fantastic portrait!! The gentle curiosity of this animal stands out so well and is a tribute to your connection with nature. Stunning detail made better by the quiet BG.

1 Like

Great close up and it is technically solid !
Not only curious, but deer appears to be in communication with your camera.

1 Like

Jim, in my back yard, this pose usually means, ā€œAre you really going to chase me out?ā€ :grinning: The direct look and raised ears look great. The background is nicely oof and complementary. Itā€™s also very well framed.

1 Like