'I'iwi

'I’iwi is a vulnerable endemic bird in the Hakalau NWR. I spent a day with Jack Jeffrey here. Jack is a wildlife biologist who worked at the refuge for nearly 25 years and was responsible for many of the programs designed to keep these and other endemic birds from becoming extinct. Currently, about 70% of the remaining endemic birds of Hawaii live and breed in this refuge. The efforts here to insure the survival of the endemic species are impressive, considering the past and current political climate,

Jack has seen 6 species become extinct in his lifetime. We can only hope his and others efforts will prevent the remaining species from the same fate,

Photographing the six endangered or vulnerable endemic species was quite difficult. on the first attempt, we encountered torrential rain and did not see a single bird other than some Nene who really thrive in a wet environment. On the second attempt, we were rewarded with a cloudless day and saw many endangered birds, However, despite the weather, all of the species are quite skittish and rarely perch in the open. Their environment is one of many layers of twigs and branches and generally high in the existing Koa and Ohieo trees. Getting a sharp and unobstructed view is exceedingly difficult and frustrating. Most images require high iso. But it is what it is. I will try to include shots of the most interesting species.

There are no hummingbirds in Hawaii but there are nectar consumming species such as Honeycreepers. 'I’iwi, pronounced E E Vee, is vulnerable and the most prevalent species we saw, These little birds are very fast, never sit still for more than a few seconds, and rarely present themselves in ideal photographic conditions, And they rarely come close. Oh and the reddish ones are really saturated!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 2500, 100-400 plus 1.4X, f8, 1250th, A7R4, handheld, fill flash at -1, 25% of full frame (20 0f 61 MP)

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

David: Thank you for the story with this image. It must have been a wonderful experience to be there and work to capture the image. A very cool looking bird!

Impressive information going with the shot, thanks. The birds stand really out from its surroundings, quite an attractive species ! Well done. Cheers, Hans

Good job in photographing this species and thanks for the accompanying story. Makes me want to hop the next plane for the islands.

A great job capturing this very difficult to even see much less photograph, David. I love the light on him.

Very good, David. I like the image a lot. You did a great job catching the bird in that little patch of light.