I'm Alister Benn, ask me anything!

Good morning Jane and thank you. I thoroughly enjoyed our trip and the fact the three of you shared a true love for where we were and approached it in a thoughtful and engaged way was a memory to cherish.

You’ve touched on a point that should be a top priority for all landscape photographers, the protection of the place is of far greater importance and significance than any photograph. In a few generations time a few pictures shouldn’t be all that is left of the wild places. I know that for myself, and many of my peers, the conflict between breaking new ground, finding new locations and sharing them with the world is one filled with pitfalls. We see how mass tourism has affected Iceland in recent years and closer to home on the Isle of Skye.

My advice for everyone would be to follow the code of ethics drawn up by the fabulous Nature First - The Alliance for Responsible Nature Photography: https://www.naturefirstphotography.org

Our company Expressive Photography partners with them and we run all our workshops on that basis.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I believe two things that make a meaningful life are love and passion. Creativity is a by-product of our lives and cannot be forced. The question on our lips should be “Why are we doing this?” - once we get to the root of that, the how becomes self evident. If we go out into the field because we have set ourselves an arbitrary task for a period of time, that is quite different from going out there because we have to be there for the good of our soul.

I think it’s easy to try and template behaviours that “may” lead to better practices, that “perhaps” might become creative. Start a project because it’s something you care about, that will deliver results far more.

1 Like

Hi man, now that is a huge question!!! Honestly, I could write a book on that, and may well do so, as I think it’s a fascinating topic.

For centuries art has reflected the dark side of the soul; literature, song lyrics, painting, theatre, movies and no doubt landscape photography. I certainly use it to deal with some inner angst, and have suffered severe depression at various times in my life.

This myth that we should go into the landscape and only celebrate aesthetic majesty is a farce that drives thousands to iconic locations every year. Personally, I can get lost in a forest for hours, anonymous and immersed in the geometry of tension.

The person we are when we walk into the field, and an open mind is all we need to see, feel and engage with visual relationships that can become manifestations of our mood. Geometry in the landscape and how it is felt is the key I feel. Luminosity, contrast and colour are more computer based adjustments. Here is my most emotional gallery: https://www.alisterbenn.com/Galleries/Music-From-Dark-Spaces/

Another excellent question Ron. My first response to that would be to say not at all, but I realise that isn’t entirely true. When we go somewhere for the first time, we tend to see/experience the obvious first. The big picture as it were. When I go somewhere I’ve been dozens of times, like when running workshops, it’s easier to skim that and notice smaller, less obvious things.

I’d say my approach though is more or less the same, and as I eluded in my reply to Jackson, the person we are when we walk into the landscape, being greeted by the face of the landscape on that day is the greatest influence. We change every day, it changes every day, the potential fort creativity is essentially infinite.

Hi mate,

Firstly, yes, I’m super excited about our trip as well, can’t wait!

Language is just labels, we use words to simplify, unify, identify and articulate concepts that are digestible. Expressive is one such word. It summarises and degree of intent I suppose, and in many ways could be synonymous with creative. I think there is massive value in making images that resonate with ourselves, for us, selfishly and introverted. To suppose that a level of that can be honestly articulated to someone else is another thing entirely. I’m developing a concept of emotional fingerprinting, which I hope may allow a certain feeling to resonate through images, but ultimately, expressive is more a state of mind which evokes a degree of personal resonance with the subject and ultimately the product.

Another term I came up with was Creative Awareness, which I guess also is synonymous with expressive. It’s seeing something and feeling motivated emotionally to work with it to create something that could be an expression of feeling. I need to write another book!

Again, very kind of you to say this. I appreciate it very much.

The definition was born out of spontaneity, just as I was speaking to the camera it came to my mind. It’s certainly something that I’d been thinking about for a few years, having developed a style of images that were accomplished, yet repetitive. I was dissatisfied with that, and felt the images didn’t really resonate with me, although they were popular. As I looked inward more, I realised that it was my internal resonance with the landscape around me that needed to be articulated, so the concept of pointing my camera at things that I noticed as being engaging was born.

Secondly, the feeling part is more complex. How we feel about something is made up of various parts. The emotional fingerprint I talked about in Alex’s reply, which is inbuilt resonance inherent in the content, and secondly our state of mind/imagination that adds a layer of personalisation over that content to enhance meaning and resonance.

Ultimately, this is how I live my life now, and the images I make are nothing more than a pictorial representation of my interactions with the world and how I feel at any given moment. It’s the living that’s important, not the images being made.

1 Like

Hiya Sarah, and thanks so much for the kind words.

Some real nonsense is written about landscape photography and the pursuit of creativity. Techniques are tools, but making carte blanche statements such as the one you quote tend to do more harm than good, as they bypass the experiential part of living and engaging with the world in a creative way, and head straight for formulaic repetition. Creativity cannot be found in repetitive acts.

Not surprisingly many of the questions are about c creativity, for as you say, it seems to be the thing we crave in ourselves. Ultimately, I think the words creativity and enlightenment could as well be synonymous and the journey to either will not be found in a predetermined path. We cannot teach creativity any more than we can teach enlightenment.

We find our own paths through introspection and an open mind. We find peace in the landscape and an outlet for our quiet voice when we allow the landscapes whispers to permeate the raucous roar of social media.

As I’ve written a few times so far, creativity is a by product of an engaged life and I don’t necessarily identify as a photographer, rather a creative liver! :slight_smile: as in living, not the organ!

Hi Ali

First off, I’ve been a fan of yours since your days at NSN and have found your eBook Available Night Light a great resource over the years. I also found your book Mountains of Tibet beautiful and inspiring. It’s great to see you doing well and continuing to contribute to the photographic community.

As a photographer starting my own business, I am finding it difficult to decide where to focus my time and energy. Do I spend time trying to promote my photography on the endless tread mill of social media? Do I go door to door trying to peddle prints? Do I become a glorified tour guide, pandering to those with the deepest pockets? Or should I go out in search of the next best contest winning image of rainbows and unicorns? How do you prioritize your time and money in your business model, and stay motivated to keep to the path?

Thanks for that Wade, what a great question… I don’t think I’d be alone in saying that making a living from full time Landscape Photography is not easy. Not many make it successfully. Honestly, finding your own niche doing things you can live with will bring the most chance of success. Stand out, be you, add value.

Or, breed Unicorns and live on TPE…

Hi Erik,

Thanks for your question. You’ve put your finger on one of the hardest things about landscape photography, a lack of human values and a clear engaging subject. Ultimately one needs to find things that resonate with ourselves and then arrange them in a way that makes sense. I would say however, there is nothing wrong with including figures in your images, and you’ll find they are quite popular, as it gives people a story, scale and a context.

You’ll also find the critique forums on here are massively helpful in getting honest feedback on your work.

I’m sorry, but I don’t have the time to review your images and add critiques on this thread, running a full time business requires I focus my attention on that. I hope you understand.

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful questions and kind words, it’s been fun and I hope I get a chance to do this again in the future.

Many of the questions have made me think of answers that have allowed me to rationalise some things I’ve been working on for some time, so thanks for that also.

All the best everyone,

Alister

3 Likes