I'm Jennifer King, ask me anything!

Hola, so, we have a list of the places you have been and that you would love to go, which place you absolutely regret and do not recommend to visit as a photographer, blacked out from your workshop list. Not photography friendly or too risky? Riskier than exploding volcanoes…

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

I read an article where the author quoted Ansel Adams as saying that if he made twelve good photos a year that he considered it a successful year.

You’re a very talented and successful photographer (I love your work). To help us gauge our personal success, can you give us an idea of how many days you work in the field, days you work post processing, etc.

What do you consider a successful year for yourself?

Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

Hola mi amiga,

Ha Ha, volcanoes are definitely dangerous, but oh so fun!

I really do not regret any location I have photographed or conducted a workshop in. Some locations have certain spots that are not as good as others, or may be dangerous for many reasons.

For example:

• A wine cellar in Italia that serves Grappa to the photo group can be risky,
  • The Racetrack in Death Valley in a small car is not the best idea for an individual or a group.
  • Carrying peanut butter and honey in your pack in bear territory is something to be avoided.

Personally, I recommend you avoid the following:

• Photographing and swimming with great white sharks
  • Funerals
  • Area 51
2 Likes

I do remember the grapa in Tuscany, :laughing:

1 Like

Hi David,

Great questions, and yes, Ansel Adam’s comment is a great one.

I believe that in an era of digital cameras and digital processing, we could expect this number to be higher. However, I also believe that we should not compare or compete with other photographers to judge, for ourselves, what that number should be. For people new to photography, walking away with a selection of good images that one is happy with is success. As we progress through time with new skills, each artist should expect the quality and number of images we personally like to also grow.

There have been years where I have had many “favorites”, and other years where the number is smaller. Some of this comes from the locations photographed, to my creative level which can be affected by work, mood and even other people.

From 2017-2019, I was home only about 60-days in that 3 year span. I produced a large body of work. Strangely enough, I produced my most favorite images in 2020, and I was hardly on the road at all.

I spend more time in the field, and much less time processing. I process the images that speak to me the most, the ones I emotionally connect to, and leave all others to memory. A successful year for me, is one where I feel that I produced something new and different, and inspired another photographer along the way to explore their creativity. To put an actual number on it, I am happy with 12 a year.

Thanks so much!

2 Likes

Hi Jennifer,
I am a writer and photographer, and I am thinking about creating a photography e-book. Can you recommend any classes or resources about how to create an e-book that includes a lot of photos?
Thanks! Ann

Hi Ann,

Creating an eBook can be a lot of fun, and rewarding. There are many companies out there that offer free templates to help you design your book layout. Canva is one of the many, and it is very easy to use.

As the artist, you can choose templates, pre-designed pages, and begin to build your own look.

I will say that the more prepared you are in the beginning, the easier the process will be. Choose your photos before starting the process and have them in an accessible folder. Then have your writing that goes with the photo(s) typed in a document that you can easily copy and paste from.

Personally, I have used Adobe InDesign. This program is designed for books, but it is all self design, and sometimes can be overwhelming to make decisions on your design in a timely manner. In other words, I have seen people start and stop with InDesign, and go straight to a template service.

If it is your first time doing a book, use a template service, design it all the way through to the end of the book, and then take a break. Come back, make sure the pages have a consistent design flow, color palette and font. Have someone proof copy behind you, and also check all your photos for dust spots.

Thanks Ann!

3 Likes

Hi Jennifer!

First: our workshop time in Death Valley with you continues to be the topic of conversation over meals in our home. Ed and I both learned so much. Thank you and Jeff.

My question:

I’d like you to share a bit about pre-visualization techniques. Do you use this technique before entering the field.? Why or why not? If you do, would you describe your process.?

Looking forward to seeing you again in the field — Val

Hi Val,

Great to hear from you, and happy you and Ed enjoyed Death Valley!

Pre-visualization is an important step for artists and this usually begins before arriving at your photo destination. I always recommend that photographers research the location they plan to photograph so that they can see visuals of what to expect, as well as learn of any other details of historical, environment or natural elements that my help them to connect to the location. Look at other images, not to copy what someone has done, but to try and determine what it is about that particular photo that attracted your attention. This is referred to as visual stimulation. Maybe it is a long exposure, shadow play or maybe a combination of things. Make a note of what inspired you, and when you get to the field, refer to this note.

Before setting up your shot, look around and see if you can find elements that caught your attention during research. I use visualization techniques like closing my eyes, taking deep and slow breaths, and also I listen to music quite often as this puts me in a state of relaxation.

We often feel rushed when we get to a photo location, but slowing down and not racing against the sun will allow for us to put these techniques to work. I have learned that when I pre-visualize, I walk away with my favorite images simply because I put so much of myself into it.

Look forward to seeing you and Ed again, and hopefully the food will be better!

1 Like

Thanks everyone for all the great questions. I hope I was able to help with you with your photography journey. If you have any other questions or are interested in more learning, you can always check out my website for more learning opportunities.

Until next time…
Jennifer

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 26 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.