Impressions

This ended up being my favorite image of my recent Colorado fall collection. I don’t always realize when I’m making something I’m going to truly love - at the time, I thought this was just another aspen reflection shot. But due to a break in the cloud cover, the trees were spotlit, while the background mountain hillside was totally in shade. Normally it’s difficult to include entire tree forms in these kinds of shots due to distracting surroundings or sky, so it usually ends up being tighter and more abstract (trunks and color only). But here, the light allowed me to include the entire grove without distraction around the edges. It was still obviously a reflection shot, so I thought rotating it 180 degrees to be “right side up” actually made it another step removed from reality, and gave it the surreal look of an impressionist painting.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D Mark IV, 70-200mm f/4L IS
200mm, f/11, 1/160s, ISO 800
Single exposure

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.
5 Likes

Very very cool - it’s like it has a vignette made of color rather than tone. I have to imagine other than finding the button to rotate 180 degrees, processing an image like this is probably a lot easier than more traditional landscape images with depth and skies and whatnot. I always like that about intimate and abstract images, anyway.

Oh yeah! Stunning image, Alex. This is definitely high art brought to the next level.

Just stunning Alex, thanks for sharing!

This is really really great. Like Brent said, the vignette of colour is beautiful and the ability to previsualize such an image and see the potential in it shows a complex and matured creativity.

Simply stunning Alex, this is one of the best abstract autumn reflection images I have ever seen. Beautifully envisioned and crafted on your part.

Everybody keeps using the word stunning, but I’ll say it again. Stunning!

Fantastic abstract image. Really enjoying this!

Alex,

Outstanding! Great color and certainly unique and special circumstances for this capture. Beautiful.

Lon

Thanks Brent! I do think these are easier to process, but I still obsess over small details and tiny adjustments like I would with any image, so they take time to get from 95% to 100% (especially in the departments of balance and evenness, when it comes to pattern-type images.)

1 Like

That’s high praise Ed - are you sure you’ve seen many autumn reflection images? :laughing: Thank you.

@Lon_Overacker @Nick_Bristol @Tony_Siciliano @Michael_McGee @Alan_Kreyger @Bill_Leggett Thank you all for taking a look and for sharing your thoughts!

So good! almost feels like a wheel spinning in the center.

There’s a reason our walls host 14 original impressionist paintings and no photos. This is the first photo I’ve seen in a long time that could displace one of them!

Getting all of the edges set off with the blue tones really lets the tree reflections stand out, Alex. This looks good with the tree growing up.

The inversion of the reflection works well, especially with the white boles. I am looking forward to seeing your images from 2019.

That really is gorgeous Alex! I have shot quite a few images with a similar outcome pictured in my head, but have never been that happy with the results. The balance and processing on this is just beautiful :raised_hands:

@Prajit_Ravindran Thanks! That ripple made this frame kind of trippy, I agree.

@Hank_Pennington Well I’m honored that this could replace real art! Thanks Hank :slight_smile:

@Mark_Seaver Thanks Mark, indeed the dark surroundings were what set this one apart for me.

@Doug_Koepsel Thanks Doug! I have a small collection coming this week.

@Art_Hughes Thanks Art! It’s impossible to control light and the water surface, but when it lines up it can be pretty nice!

1 Like