Inferno

Or maybe call this the Covid Exterminator… (one could fantasize…) ICM’s aren’t everyone’s cup of tea but thought I would share for fun.

Was hanging out in the backyard with family this past January. The sunset was pretty awesome - and we all know how the horizon can go wild once that sun goes down. So I thought I would play around. My yard backs up to an alley, an old strip mall so there were a couple of lights that I had carefully clone out their trails, but for the most part this is captured as is. In fact, it’s a jpg out of the camera so whatever my saturation settings are, that’s what this is. I did very little processing. There’s a straight dark line on the right with some faint diagonals running thru - Telephone pole and wires. The main tree is my hated Chines tallow. You can tell the motion is a bit of a half-circle.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any, all comments welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

You may or may not like or get these, but any reaction, comment is welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D7100 16-85mm @25mm f/20 .4s iso 500 circular motion during capture.

4 Likes

Pretty cool. Nice experimentation.

Without the image description, I would have no idea what was in the underlying image, and that’s one of the things that I like about this image. And I love the color combination here. My only suggestion would be to increase the luminosity for a lighter feeling, but that is a matter of personal preference, this does work well for me as presented too.

This image looks like a gas cloud nebula that belongs in a science fiction movie…

Looks like a ghostly tidal wave. Very artistic. I love this. Beautiful colors.

Lon: I love this kind of stuff and you carried it off well. Judging by your description of the place I think you made some fine lemonade from some pretty sour lemons. A tip o’ the :billed_cap: to you sir for the concept and the execution. >=))>

1 Like

Oooh, love it! The color gradation is super and the ghostly trees that start out straight and then curve give it a nice energy.

The circular shape here looks like a barrelling wave as seen from behind and under the water. The fact that the wave seems to be crashing into trees implies a lot of destruction. Fitting for these times.

I like the analogous colour palette here.

Thank you for taking the time to leave some comments. Mucho appreciated!

@David_Haynes , @Michael_Lowe, @Ed_McGuirk, @Bill_Fach, @Bonnie_Lampley and @Nathan_Klein

This is wonderful Lon! I love the color palette and the arcing lines. One of the things I love about ICM is the ability to make things disappear or make an eyesore into a nice subtle color or texture variation. You did that beautifully here, and I could look at this for hours.
ML

1 Like

You know I’m a fan of ICM and was drawn to this right away, Lon. I like it a lot and appreciate the story behind the experiment. Sometimes, that’s exactly what ICM is - an experiment. The vividness of the colors is crazy - love that blue across the top.

My preference would be, despite the magic of the scene, to tone down the amount of reds and oranges by darkening some on the right half of the frame. Use creative license and your knowledge of how our tools work to paint in some darkness in a way that focuses the audience’s attention on a smaller part of the frame. I personally like the two linear forms in the LLC rising into the frame so perhaps I would make that my center of attention. Just my preferences.

Nice work.

1 Like

I like this a lot Lon. Wonderful abstract. I like the motion and how the color goes from orange to blue.