Infrared Beach Scene w/Repost

Infrared Beach Scene

Repost with a few adjustments to contrast and vignette. Also some work on the sky.
20190816_091756_DBP5383_C1_B&W_IR_2

Hug Point, Oregon

I was shooting some infrared images of the small waterfall and foliage behind me when I turned around and saw this scene. I decided to shoot it with the IR filter on just to see what would happen. Probably more than anything it just extended the exposure time to 2 minutes. Converting it to B&W helped a lot.

Specific Feedback Requested

Just curious if the scene works for you.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Fujifilm GFX 50S, GF 32-64mm @ 50mm, 2 minutes @ f/16, ISO 100, 720nm IR filter, Tripod.

The scene works, I really like the meandering creek leading the eye to the sea. However, I am not sure that using IR has added much. In any case I would increase the contrast quite a bit.

I like the composition, it has a very expansive look that says “ocean”. The layers and lines here do a good job of pulling my eye through the scene. Your processing of the highlights in the water is also very appealing, my eye gets drawn to the s-curve.

I too think the image could be helped by some added midtone contrast. The mud ripples in the water would particularly be helped by more contrast, it would add some interesting texture in the foreground. I would also suggest reducing the vignetting in the LRC, it feels a bit strong relative to the rest of the image.

David, really like this image in B/W. Great composition and my eye goes exactly where it should. I do agree with Ed on the midtones comment bringing a more diverse tonal range to the image.

Thanks for the comments folks. I reworked it a bit and posted above.

A lovely scene, and an interesting idea to shoot it in IR. I think the quiet tonalities worked very well for the peaceful scene. I think the new version takes it up a notch.