Inspired by Diane Miller's White on White Egret

After viewing Diane’s two posts, I remember taking a couple of shots of a Great Egret flying over me on a vary cloudy day. August 28, 2020, 8:16 AM, on the Back River.
Thank you for stopping by.
Peter

Specific Feedback Requested

any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7Dll, Sigma 150-600mm, 546mm, F7.1, 1/4000, -.7Ev, ISO 1250. The shot is cropped by 10% I increases the vibrance and contrast, using DxO PhotoLab 4.

I love the wing position and the angle you took this from, Peter. To my eye the Egret and the sky both look pretty gray. I think you could bring the whole image up quite a bit to get that high-key look.

My first reaction to the image was that it was underexposed. Then I read the comment from Dennis and agree. Rather than a high key look, it is neutral gray. I pulled the image into Photoshop to check the brightest pixels. They were at about 205. For a high key, those pixels should be pushing 230-240. I did a little work with the jpeg to try to bring up the brightness without compromising any detail. Here’s the result. By the way, your posted image is in the Adobe RGB color space. It should be in the sRGB color space for the most accurate viewing on a web platform.

1 Like

Hi Thank you for the comments.
I changed the color spacing to sRGB and increased the exposer to produce a white of 232.
I was under the impression that Adobe RGB gave a wider color gamma?
Peter

The three primary color spaces that most people use are sRGB, Adobe RBG 1998 and ProPhoto. Those are listed in order from the smallest color gamut to the largest. But… that doesn’t have anything to do with why you should use sRGB for the web. The issue is color accuracy and nearly every web browser only understands sRGB. That is the “language” they are expecting. If you give the browser a different color space, the viewer using the browser won’t be seeing accurate colors as the browser is expecting sRGB. If it were just about the size of the color gamut then clearly the best option would be ProPhoto as it is significantly broader, but as explained, that isn’t the issue.

HI Keith
Thank you for the information.
Peter