Into the Wind

This is my first post here, so I hope I followed all the rules. I couldn’t find where to tag the image, but I think I got the other requirements done. Please let me know if I need to correct anything.

The fading, golden light and the persistent, howling winds dance together to create light and texture, shapes and shadows. The adventurous, silhouetted hiker ties it all together by bringing a sense of scale to the image. This image was captured Tuesday evening at Great Sand Dunes National Park.

Pertinent technical details or techniques to help others learn:

Handheld capture. Sony A7RIII, Nikkor 80-400 VRII, Commlite adapter. If I remember correctly ISO 100.

If this is a composite please be honest with your techniques and share some details so others can learn:

Single RAW exposure edited and cropped in LR CC.

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.
12 Likes

This has some killer atmosphere and I like the contrast between the warm highlights and cool shadows. Great job!

The line of glowing sand is fantastic! You captured a really nice, magical moment here.

I know that we all want to protect our photos from theft online, but have you considered using a smaller watermark? Since the watermark interacts with the main elements of the photos here, it takes away from the appreciation of the composition for me.

The blue ridges in the shade totally make this image for me. Nice job!

Thanks Brent. It was a very nice moment when the light broke through and highlighted the dune edges and blowing sand. I love it when warm and cool comes together to play.

Thank you Sarah for your comments and suggestion. I agree with your feedback on the watermark. I wanted to get an image posted in this group last night and the only one that I had processed had this larger watermark. Is there way to switch out images and keep this thread going or can I add a new pic with a smaller watermark? Thanks again for your kind words and suggestion.

Thank you Thorsten for taking the time to comment.

James
This is awesome. Frankly, if I had a masterpiece like this, I would put a big watermark on it too!

Welcome James! A beautiful image and a wonderful moment in time.

Welcome to the new NPN James, You have captured stunning light and atmosphere here James. I did not see the watermark until others mentioned it since the light is so spectacular. I don’t think the image can be downloaded with a right click on this site.

This is awesome @James_Bokovoy. I imagined it being a smaller scene until I saw the person in it and that made it even more a pleasure to view and helps the story of the image. It’s all about facing your problems head-on and walking in the brightness/trying to stay out of the shadows in life. At least that’s how I interpret it.

Good to see you here!

Hey James! Good to see you here on NPN! Congrats on the Pick; this is fantastic. Next time you’re in the area, give a shout. We need to hook up with Larry and go shooting.

1 Like