Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Those of us of a certain age may recall this sci-fi movie. Anyway, even though it’s native to our planet, looks pretty creepy and alien to me. Your thoughts?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

A tight crop from original, which is a skunk cabbage. This image depicts the flower, "a knob-like structure called a spadix, a fleshy spike of many petal-less flowers. As the flowers mature, pollinators such as flies and carrion beetles enter and pollinate them. [National Wildlife Federation].

Technical Details

Fujifilm X-H2, Fujinon XF 16-80 @ 50.5 (76mm), 1/75s, f/8, ISO 1000.

Specific Feedback

All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Jim, I recognize the growing seed head of a Skunk Cabbage because I’ve tried to photograph them regularly. Because of their size and proximity to the ground its very challenging. You’ve done well here, with all of the parts of the seed showing well. Your idea of somewhat soft but bright outsides is interesting and does let the darker shaper parts stand out. However, I do think that burning-in the brightest parts in the corners would help keep attention on the sharp parts.

Jim, I have to admit I had no idea what this was until I read Mark’s mention of a Skunk Cabbage… :thinking: I do think your title Invasion of the Body Snatchers fits the scene perfectly… :+1: A fine fit for the WC theme too… :sunglasses:

You got me. I never would have guessed until I read Mark’s reply. Really fits with the theme.

@Paul_Breitkreuz , @Mark_Seaver, and @Chris_Baird, thank you for your nice comments and that’s a good observation Mark. It was a fun WC!

1 Like