Iris macro

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any Shot with Canon 5DMark III, with 180 Canon macro lens, at f 18, 1/125 sec. and iso 1000.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

John, I am enjoying the colors of this Iris. You have captured a nice mix of colors, lines and shapes. I wish the left pedal was a bit sharper on beard. At f18 you would expect all to be in focus, so I am thinking that your focus point may have been more on the center of the bloom, and so because of minimal DOF in macro, the pedal in front of the focus point isn’t as sharp. Still a very nice look at this beautiful flower.

1 Like

Thanks Shirley, Indeed as they say in Southern Maryland, my focus on the iris was in the center because this variety of the flower had a very vibrant center, almost as if a light was focused on it. Because of the variety of monitor screens , that glow of light does not exist in my post. This may be due to the fact that my monitor is turned up brighter that others. Thanks for your input.
Wayne

1 Like

Lovely colors and the focus seems spot on the center of flower. I wonder if a vertical crop would work as well as this one. A very fine flower.

John, this is a fine look “from above” look at this Iris. The colors and the transition from darker around the edges to lighter in the center fits will with how you’ve positioned the flower in the frame. Is this a different type of Iris? I’m not seeing the upright petals that are on the sides of my iris.

Thanks to all. This rust colored iris has been around for years in my yard. I do push several petals back slightly to capture the center. The petals with the" beard" is the next layer. The luminosity of the center of this iris really got me.

1 Like