It Must Be Time for Donahue

Does B&W do better at conveying the message?

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Does this image evoke a specific reaction?
Is the B&W version more effective than the color version?
Is there anything going on around you that might relate to this image?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Back in the early 80s, there was a controversial TV talk show host by the name of Phil Donahue (some of you may not be old enough to remember that guy).
There was a catchy (and annoying) advertisement where they would show empty streets, empty office spaces, etc., then they would comment “It Must be Time for Donahue” (meaning that “Everyone” must have rushed to the nearest TV set to watch Phil Donahue). That commercial got old pretty quick BTW.

Does this image align with any current situations in your life?
I can think of at least three situations in my day to day life that this image represents.

Technical Details

Sony a6000, EXIF data is missing but it was likely 1/250, f8, ISO 100. Processed in Ps.

Specific Feedback

Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

And of course I would appreciate any constructive feedback on the image itself if you’d like to share. :slight_smile:

Merv, I’ll just go with either version here for me. As a color only photographer myself I can still appreciate B&W conversions as I do many of those too. These vintage locales from overseas usually leaves me wondering how they did during WWII… :anguished:
I might go with a slight increase in contrast on the color version, but find nothing beyond that as a possible slightly different look… :thinking:
For me any scene, man made or natural, that leaves us wondering what might be around a corner or bend in a scene always provides a slight taste of mystery or the unknown… :sunglasses:

I feel a sense of mystery in this image and for that reason, I relate more to the B&W version. “All those buildings, but where are the people? And it’s so neat and clean. Is it a movie set?” Those are the thoughts going through my head. A very cool image in either color or B&W, Merv.

1 Like

I like images of streets, but don’t know about the show you mentioned. I like this image, yet think there is too much blank sky because the eye goes to that brightest part of the image. I think the colors of the buildings are interesting, so I bumped up those colors some. My take on the image is strictly a personal preference; yours is fine as it is if you disagree with me or go somewhere in between with the color. To me, the white frame does not add anything. I do prefer the color image of the two you offered. Nice image.

2 Likes

This is a lovely scene. I prefer the colour version because, in this case, the colour adds rather than detracts from the overall feel of the picture.
My critique would be that this feels like a perfect setting waiting for something to happen. I don’t know if you are familiar with the remarkable Sam Abell. If not this video presentation, “The Life of a Photograph” is an absolute must see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYf9klvk8vQ
Abell’s dictum is, “Compose the picture and wait”. But for me, in this image, you have composed the picture (from back to front as Abell recommends) but you haven’t waited, or not long enough. It is having the patience to wait for something “to happen”. Sometimes it doesn’t and you move on. But sometimes it does and a very good photograph, such as this one, becomes something truly remarkable.

1 Like

I think this is a very nice composition but agree the color could be brought up a bit. The light on the more distant buildings is very nice. The B/W is too flat and loses the lovely color that contributes to the ambiance of the old buildings. The bikes are the perfect touch! I find the bottom a bit empty – maybe a slight crop or a subtle burn?

And now have read you further description. Have heard of Donahue but that’s all – just the name – I’ve never been a TV fan. For me, it evokes some charming places I’ve been, but nothing that I can relate to my daily life. But I’m not very imaginative.

1 Like

Hi Paul,

My B&W journey was very recently kicked off and to be honest, my involvement on this site is what opened my mind to B&W, so, now I tend to do a B&W conversion on most images just to see how it comes across and that helps me to recognize what will work and what won’t before taking the shot (if I’m in a B&W artistic mood).

The B&W image does align with the WWII era because these buildings were built in the early 1920s and I’m sure WWII was heavy on their minds at the time it was going on.
This is a shot from Stockholm, Sweden, and Sweden was a neutral country at the time but the invasion of Norway and Denmark had these folks very nervous.
I agree that the colors could stand a boost in contrast and maybe even a touch more saturation.

I’m right there with you about the mystery of “What’s around the corner?” :slight_smile:

Hi Dennis,

I agree, there is a sense of mystery in this, especially the B&W version. The missing people! That’s really what this image was all about (still is). I wanted to find a street where you would expect to see a lot of people walking around, riding their bicycles, talking with each other, etc., but I wanted to find a street that was empty (if I could), and I wanted the image to represent the people that are missing in my life. My father and mother is at the top of that list but also, I had an average of 30 employees for more than 30 years while I was in business, but now that I’m retired, those people are no longer around. Even my kids live in different states now so my kids and grandkids are missing for the most part, in fact, one of my sons and his family now live in Japan and will be there for the next three years (USAF).
I still see my kids and grandkids, but only when the planets are aligned just right.

Hi Larry,

I agree with your thoughts on the colors, it’s easier to go light and hope that others like yourself will weigh in on the matter, so thanks for that!
I like the crop that you did, I agree that there is too much brightness up there!
Thanks for the example edit, too!
I’m just curious here, are you a doctor?, more specifically, are you a member of the organization “Doctors Without Borders”? :laughing: OK, that was kind of lame, but not completely. :slight_smile:
Seriously though, borders are somewhat subjective, some like em’, some don’t. :slight_smile:

Hi Kerry,

I completely understand why you would think that I didn’t wait for something to happen as Sam Abell talks about (thanks for the video BTW, I had not seen that before so it was a treat for me and it was worth the time to view it).
Sweden is where my father was from, he migrated to the US in 1925, sadly he passed away in 1966 when I was only 6 years old and I wanted to explore Sweden for some kind of connection to my father.
This image was taken in Stockholm, I set out to find a street that was from the 1925 era .
These buildings were constructed in the early 1920s.
When I first found this street there were several people walking, riding bicycles, standing and talking to each other but the street pavers, the buildings, the curve, the colors, everything looked so enticing to me, I wanted a shot of “This”.
I hung around for awhile and noticed that the people were slowly migrating into their homes and to other streets, etc. so I set up my gear, composed the shot and waited, and waited…until finally there was only one young lady that had just locked her bicycle up to the railing, she noticed me and asked what I was trying to get, she asked if I was shooting a street scene for an architectural magazine or something like that, I briefly explained my intent (as other people came into the scene :frowning: ) and to my surprise she asked the others to step out of the street so I could get the shot I was after.
I had to wait for more than an hour to get this.
I should mention that this image isn’t about sadness, it’s about a happy memory, I can’t take a photograph of a memory so the next best thing is to take a photograph of something that will evoke a specific memory.
My father knew he was going to die and since I was so young, he wanted to spend as much time with me as he could, he was hoping that I would have specific memories of him (according to my mother).
He would set me on a stump at the end of a field that he was cultivating and every time he turned the tractor at an end row, he would smile at wave at me and that memory is still vivid to this day.
I know that Sam talks about waiting for many hours, even days in some cases but I had my wife to consider, she was very understanding and patient, and she is a good photographer herself, she knows nothing about the settings but she can crank out a great composition with amazing ease, she asks me to handle the settings for her, then she’s good to go :slight_smile:

You and the video by Sam made me think of a specific shot, but one from Oslo, Norway where I composed the shot and waited for something to happen again, but this time it was waiting for someone to enter the scene rather waiting for everyone to exit the scene :slight_smile:
I’ll post that one soon, maybe this evening. I’d love to get your thoughts on that one as well.

Kerry, thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts on insight (and the video)!
There’s no way you could have known that the message in this was about the missing people, the normal interpretation is that I didn’t wait for that element that makes it truly special as you said.
To be honest, this image was meant to be private, just for me, but I wondered how it would come across for others.

Hi Diane,

Normally I would agree with the empty FG, but the emptiness is part of the message in this image.

Yeah, I never watched the guy’s show but I do remember those crazy commercials that repeated every 15 to 30 minutes! Argh!! :laughing:

A big thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions! They are much appreciated! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Merv,

A little late to the party here. I like both images as they are. The muted color version reminds me of authentic old Europe. The B&W provides a nostalgic feeling. Both are wonderful compositions and do indeed project a sense of emptiness.

I’m not bothered by the sky, but there is a crop down to the edge of the sky that stands out and highlights the street and buildings.

Either way, well done.

1 Like

Thank you @David_Bostock!

I appreciate the comments and suggestion for a possible alternate crop!

I figured you’d like the B&W version.
It does have that nostalgic look, a look typical in images from that era.
The color version is how I imagine my father might have seen it when he was there (providing he actually saw this street :slight_smile: ) He was a carpenter so it’s possible that he even helped build it.

Thanks again!

1 Like