It's a bee

As I have practised macro shooting over the summer I have found bees to be pretty easy to shoot as they are plentiful and often slow, great for a beginner. But I think that this shot could be improved with more DoF on the flower.
I have of course found that the amazing ‘burst modes’ available on modern cameras help a lot with moving subjects and the 4K photo with pre-burst mode almost feels like cheating! Does anyone have any views on these?

Lumix GX8 Olympus 60mm f2.8 1/1000 ISO 250

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A very nice shot, Ryan. Wonderful details in the bee, which is most important. It would certain have been nice to have both sharp, but we have to deal with lower shutter speeds or higher ISO (and usually noise), to make that happen. I just love the angle that you caught the bee coming towards the bloom, giving us a good look at the eye and face of the bee, but also the body. The wings our showing motion, which is nice. I also like how the out of focus bloom just below the bee seems to frame the shape of the bee. Well done.

Very nice! The flower looks like it’s dancing to attract the bee. The lack of DOF doesn’t bother me because it’s such a charming scene. I could see brightening it up overall - I think it calls for cheeriness.

1 Like

Ryan, this is a very good looking shot, with the bee nicely sharp and showing excellent details. The flower and how it angles into the view work well even though the bloom is not sharp. My one thought on shooting 4K stills is that you may be trading resolution for speed since 4K is 4000 x 2000 px, while the sensor spec is 4592 x 3448. If it works and give you good results (like this), go for it. This view could use some additional contrast. That would let the bee and it’s details stand out more.

1 Like

Thanks everyone very helpful