It's Almost a Leaf and Flower

Your views on these two images of the service berry tree in my yard are appreciated. I have been practicing with my macro lens as COVID-19 therapy. These are both shot in the evening about a half hour before sunset.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D500, Tamron 90mm macro lens, f.28, shot at f13, .6sec, ISO 100

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Whoops, I have just realized the need to crop the vertical image a touch from the top

. Thanks.

I like the vertical cropped image best. I think the detail and colors show up better closer in. Looks like a great distracting exercise Larry. Hang in there.

Linda, Thanks for your visit and reply. I understand that the vertical image has more overall interest; yet, I think the horizontal is simpler. I am impressed with how well the focus stacking worked. Thanks again. Larry

1 Like

Larry: I like the simplicity of the horizontal image and the overall BG. I do think I would soften or eliminate that one bokeh spot immediately adjacent to the bud as it does grab my eye a bit.
On the verticals I do like the extra details and elements with the cropped version being a slight improvement. Because the main bud is leaning right the comp would feel better to me if there was more room on the right side than the left, almost reversing the proportions that you have now. >=))>

My preference is for the looser composition of the horizontal image, Larry. I like the flowing line and upward curve of it. I do like what Bill did to the background. If you can manage to mask the fine details of the bud, you might burn the ypper half of the background just slightly, but this is a fine set of images as posted. I noticed yesterday that our local Service berries are now in bloom.

Thanks @Bill_Fach and @Dennis_Plank. I appreciate what you have done to the bokeh, Bill. It is a significant improvement. Dennis, I understand your point about the masking. Unfortunately, I am not too good at using masks. It’s a skill I need to improve. Thanks again, both of you.

Thanks, Dennis. See my reply under @Bill_Fach. Thanks.

Here’s the improvement following your advice, @Bill_Fach.

I prefer the horizontal image for its simplicity and sharpness. Good eye to see the possibilities in photographing these.

Thanks Patricia, I like the horizontal better as well. I got some most valuable suggests on this one. Larry