Jasper NP Misty Mountain

This is an image which I’ve been sitting on for a while but haven’t considered finished for some reason. Let me know if you can see any improvements .

I went for a high-key approach when processing this image as I felt it helped the ethereal mood of the clearing storm. I reduced the dynamic range of the image and it has a fairly high black point. I felt that too much contrast reduced the attention on the atmospherics.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Jasper NP Misty Mountain

@nathankleinphotos

You have some wonderful light and weather conditions here, and I really like the high key approach taken in your processing. The lower contrast in the spruce trees on the left does help the overall soft, ethereal mood of the image. Overall I think your processing works very nicely here.

I might consider cropping this to 5:7, and getting rid of the trees on the right. Those LRC trees keep pulling my eye away from the nice light and clouds in the left half of the image. Those trees are so much sharper and darker than the rest of the scene that they become an eye magnet for me. I think a 5:7 crop would make the mountain more powerful looking, and you would still retain enough negative space in the URC to maintain the bright look.

1 Like

I too love the misty mountain effects and you have a good one here. You have the clouds, water and trees for a full wilderness effect. If you’re still looking for something else in the photo, I’d suggest a bit of contrast in the foreground trees for detail to contrast with the mountain, and by that I mean if you make the mountain and slightly blurred, along with more defined foreground trees, it may give you a 3D effect. Nice photo to experiment on.

1 Like

@Ed_McGuirk thanks so much for the crop. I think you’ve nailed why I considered the image to be unfinished. The trees at the bottom are indeed a distraction but I’d loss perspective on this one