Jaws

Abstract of ice formations close to home during a particularly cold spell in January. Take the title with a pinch of salt but largely what drew me to this was the serrated teeth-like appearance of the ice and the way the dark water was flowing through. I don’t take many abstracts but the details here really drew me in, the leaf-like fanning of the lower section, the colours reflecting in the ice and water, the small ice bubbles, etc.

The biggest achievement in making this picture was managing to stop my dog crashing through it.

Specific Feedback Requested

Composition, processing, framing/ crop, etc.

Would you keep it as is or lose the wider right hand side? The left has the most interesting structure but I like the way it is opposed by the water on the right. For me the contrast between the colour and movement of the water and sharp cool whites of the ice are what this is really about.

Does it work for you as an abstract?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
50mm
f/5.6
1/13 sec.
ISO 64
Focus Stack (taken within seconds of each other with the same settings to get the ice as sharp as possible edge to edge)

2 Likes

Ice abstracts are a weakness of mine, too, but fortunately no dog to keep from my favorite subjects - great job on saving the scene.

I think the proportions work well here - I like the touch of blue highlights in the water - it adds a bit of interest and works well against the tannic water. As an experiment, give it a horizontal flip - that way the ice and water start from the left large and then get constrained on the right. It might make it a bit more dramatic. The jagged edges look delicate as well as fierce. The tiny refractive rainbows caught in parts of them are pretty terrific. Bravo!

In your prior posts, you have shown us a fine skill for showing off the beauty of Scotland. You find scenes much like @Eugene_Theron .
Now in this small scene, you have presented a technical and artistic image that I enjoy even more than your scenics. The detail and exposure are all great, - fine stacking work. The multiple exposures presented us with a wonderfully spectral water flow. I enjoy the image opening up to the right. As it opens up to the right, it intrigues me about wha lies beyond. More relaxed than if flipped, I think.

Very cool find with this miniature icescape, Brian. The details are lovely, particularly in the large version. I especially like the sections of ice with the light refraction rainbows as that elevates this image another notch IMO. I can certainly see how you arrived with your photo caption. I was going to suggest flipping this 180 degrees, but decided I liked this version better. Beautifully done; no suggestions from me.

An interesting extracted scene. Here’s another vote for not flipping the image, it just feels more dynamic as you have presented it. I like how the stream is narrow on the left and expands on the right, I think that makes the image more dynamic as well. I also like how the water is a mix of warm and cool colors. These highlights of color help prevent the water from becoming just a black hole. Well seen and presented.

Thanks @Kris_Smith @Dick_Knudson @Ed_Lowe @Ed_McGuirk

Flipping it never even occurred to me and it’s interesting to see how different it feels. I agree that I prefer the original orientation though.

@Dick_Knudson Thank you for your kind remarks, I will definitely check out Eugene’s work. Smaller scenes are something I’ve gained a new found appreciation for over the last year and definitely something I’ll be looking to incorporate as I develop my portfolio.

I really think those small scenes really add depth to a body of images around a particular area or theme. I’ve spent a lot of time around my local hills this year and bringing some of those images together, from more grand scenics to detail abstracts, is something I am working toward.

1 Like