Juniper, Deadhorse Point State Park, Utah

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Should I try for more modeling in the grays of the rock and juniper bark?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Reports on the level and nature of any emotional response to the image, and reponses to the composition and technical execution’s effect on the experience.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Processed in Lightroom, after raw conversion in DxO photolab, mostly using the Basic and B & W panels, adjusting the Black & White Mix using the dragging tool in several regions of the image.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

billgibson3

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hi Bill, it looks like you’re having trouble posting an image, please take a look at this post: How to post a photo. You can still edit this post by clicking the pencil icon at the bottom of your post.

If you still have problems please send me a message and I would be happy to help.

I thought it posted the first time, now I’m not sure what happened or if anyone can see it. I haven’t seen it on the board yet; does it need to pass moderation?

I fixed it so it’s in the original post now and should show up in the feed as well

Thanks! Can you tell what I did wrong?

Just a matter of not including the image in the original post, it happens! Next time just be sure to include it :+1:

Wow. This was worth the wait. I really like this from an artistic point of view. A tree like that does belong with those clouds.

1 Like

Bill,

What a great looking Juniper - plenty of character to go around. The backdrop of the clouds is quite spectacular! and it’s the processing of the clouds that really tops this image off. The great thing is that the backdrop of the clouds do not overwhelm or take over what the foreground and tree are presenting. Very cool.

I’m not quite sure what you mean by “modeling in the gray…” Do you mean contrast? tone? I do think that there a quite a few mid-tone grays throughout the foreground and little in the way of contrast. The bg sky has mids to lights to whites whereas the tree and rock have mostly mid tones. I’m wondering if you might be able to separate the tones a little more up front and increase the contrast. I’m no b&w processing expert so hopefully someone can chime in.

For sure you have the makings of an outstanding b&w image.

Lon

1 Like

What a wonderful capture! A definite winner!

That’s a fantastic sky to back up your great subject Bill. I do like Lon’s idea of a contrast bump to the other parts of the image; including opening up the tree a bit.

Love this. I really like how the fractal nature of the tree branches are mirrored in the clouds. Perfect as a monochrome image. Great tones and textures. Very nicely done.