Just a little sip

I set up the tripod not far from this pink flower bush the hummingbirds love. I’ve seen them on it already this morning having breakfast. This is from yesterday afternoon. There are several branches that hang out from the main part of the bush and gives me the best opportunity to isolate these tiny wonders. It’s a female ruby throat and one always nests in the yard.

This bush is going to be at the peak of flowering for a few more days. This is afternoon light (4:30-5:30 or so) and allows for lower ISO and sets off the subject elements nicely. At least I think so.

Specific Feedback Requested

Since the bg was so dark, I metered for the flowers, but they are still super prominent. Used a lot of tools in Lr to tone them down, but what do you think? Does it tell the story of how hummies are attracted to pinks, reds and oranges or should I reduce their presence even more?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
P/L 100-400 f/4-6.3 @ 250mm (500mm equiv.)
f/5.6 | 1/500 sec. | ISO 500
Tripod w/just a ball head

Lr processed for a substantial crop and a lot of managing the flowers to not be so overwhelming, but to show why she’s there in the first place. Ps to remove some leaves in the URC that were too much.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

Looks like this one got lost in the shuffle.

Hi Kris. The focus looks excellent and I like the “pose” of the hummingbird. To my eye, the afternoon light washed out the flowers and created over-exposed highlights in the hummingbird. My personal preference is to photograph them in very early morning or late evening light and crank up the iso enough to allow a shutter speed that creates a “pleasing to me” wing blur. That usually comes in at around 1/640 to 1/1250, though I’ve used both higher and lower in some circumstances. Another option is to try for a day with a fair amount of haze or a light overcast. that usually works better for flower color anyhow.

I think you did a fine job of capturing a good action shot, Kris. These are such fast little targets and the places they frequent make for tough photography. Looks like the light was working against you on this shot, which is not surprising. But I like the framing and sharpness.

Thanks guys. If I have time I can give it a go this afternoon and see. The light is what it is and the bush doesn’t bloom forever. If I can I’ll try upping the shutter speed as well even if it means higher ISO. If I don’t underexpose it should be ok.

1 Like