Just some water on the rocks + Repost

Repost:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It was an overcast day at the coast. Originally we wanted to photograph high waves. But then a few rocks caught my attention, washed by the waves. So I played with different shutter speeds.

I could spend hours having fun with the flowing water.

Specific Feedback

I cropped the image slightly to focus on the interesting parts and to find some balance between the dark rocks and the bright water.

Does the image work for you? Is there anything that could be improved in your opinion?

Technical Details

Cropping and basic adjustments in LR. Switched to PS for some local contrast and minor cloning.

Really nice flow. This really works in black and white photography and keeping the white and the grays natural. !!!

I’m with you that I could spend, and have spent, hours just fooling around with shutter speeds and moving water. Now that I have a set of magnetic variable neutral density filters I’m going to be impossible.

Anyway…I like this shot for the energy and action it conveys. The fine lines of water falling feels less dense and lighter than many of these kinds of photos can be. If you have a mind, I think a square crop eliminating the long streak of water on the far right might work to tighten the composition even more. You could also play with the dark tones and see if making some darker would enhance the drama. For this kind of thing I work with the TK8 panel and luminosity masking to direct the adjustments precisely. I’d do the same with the darker bits in the water to see if any modeling could be created there. An intense photo for sure.

Thank you very much for your feedback, @Kris_Smith, and @Gill_Vanderlip.

Thank you for pointing that out. I had left that in on purpose at first. But now I agree with you that this streak of water is more of a distraction. I think it’s because it has a different structure than the others.

Looks bolder without it - more decisive and on purpose.

1 Like